Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Phone

That would no doubt be the better solution for these types of objects Randy...

with splines you can position them close together, and/or further apart depending, to gain the effect that the cord is bunched up at certain points, as well stretched out a certain points, like a real world cord often is, and moving around points on a spline for the deform, is a much more intuitive method to achieve most any shape...

However, you are right in that this is a fairly expensive plugin for this type of object... ikes..

note... Webtricity 2 contains Simply 3D, Picture Publisher 8, some pretty decent textures etc... all for 10 bucks on ebay just a thought

Lookin' good, Soquili! Great info on making this type of a cord too! Will be looking forward to seeing your model progress.

---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Maya. I'm still playing around with the cord and the bend deformer, trying to find something I like. I'm also playing around with Stu's suggestion, using a plane. So many ways to make something, and so little time to play with them all

Thanks Stu, great tip. Gives me more things to enjoy playing with.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No problem

The only problem you somtimes have with planes is when you extrude you have no bottom,so thats where I use a plugin called Make Thicker,or you can bridge the edges back together again.

Thanks Stu, help like this is one of the joys here at Talkgraphics.

Here's an update on the phone. It's got flaws but thought I'd show the direction I'm going with it right now. Changed the handset and working on getting the cord to looks somewhat believable. Had to scale a part of the cord to make it fit, so I'll have to make some changes to have it fit in better.

I have a couple of other versions in the works using other methods. Nothing good enough to post right now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone-n-cord.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	5332  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Cool.

Looking good Bill. Are you going to work on the buttons some more. I think they could use some rounding on the corners.

Great job on the phone cord!

It's really improving nicely, Soquili. That cord looks tricky. Should the cord coming from the handset be slightly unwound rather than coiled tightly right up to the end? The last corded phone I had went through a bit of daily abuse I'm afraid, and the cord got stretched and twisted that way. It's looking good! I think Randy has a good idea on the phone buttons being just subtly rounded off.
    Nice work!

---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Looking really good Bill... very nice cord

I agree regarding the buttons, perhaps a slight bevel around the top edge would do nicely

Keep up the good work ethic Bill, your doing great

Thanks Mike, Randy, Maya, and Gidget. The cord is actually four sweep nurbs and is very tricky to position. I get cross eyed trying to see all the lines and move them into place The part from the handset was the one I had to scale down at the last minute so it looks more tightly coiled than the other parts. Will have to adjust the settings to have the same rotation as the others. I also want to have a straight or loosely coiled section close to the handset itself. The buttons do need a lot of work. Basically just place holders at this stage. I want to add the numbers and letters as they appear on a real phone by the time I have this one completed.

Thanks for all the helpful input
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update