Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Phone

Practicing box modeling in C4D. Not as easy as Wings3D, but it gets easier with practice. I'm stumped on how to make a coiled cord for the phone in C4D. If anyone has any tips on how to do that, please share

As always, comments and critisisms are appreciated.

After posting I see several things that need improving
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	4387  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Practicing box modeling in C4D. Not as easy as Wings3D, but it gets easier with practice. I'm stumped on how to make a coiled cord for the phone in C4D. If anyone has any tips on how to do that, please share

As always, comments and critisisms are appreciated.

After posting I see several things that need improving
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm stumped on how to make a coiled cord for the phone in C4D <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bill, nice phone. For the cord sweep a very small circle around a helix spline.

Boy, I'll say a nice phone... way to model Bill

I like some of the shapes of that phones body... could you show a wire shot of that without hypernurbs please?

Mike, that looks like a very cool method ... will this method allow for the bending over so as to have the cord with a circle on one end like you often see with a cord? like can you really twist that bend deformer right around some ? Would be way cool....

here's an example of the cord result I am talking about...

Name:	aphoneandcordtoon.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	15685  

Yea it will twist alot. Also You can have multiple deformers but it gets kinda funky and unpredictable. How did you make your cord?

Hey, that's way cool... and yea, I can understand the unpredictable thing... but still, yea man, it coils...

Oh, I cheated as usual... hehe... used a spring primitive in Wings, scale radial along y to gain the slightly flatter round on the cord... then duplicated and bridged until I had a long straight cord... rotated along z so as it was laying down along x ( damn funny how that works )

then I imported as obj file, into Simply 3D, which has an awesome bend tool, like a spline which you just move the points and it follows... and so long as the distance between points stays similar, then the dependability is ok, I mean you can see it all happen in real time so you can fudge with it to get it so...

then I exported the deformed cord as vrml into c4d and then merged in the phone... whole thing took about half an hour.... ikes

I tried your method in C4D CE, dialed in the settings as you have em here Mike,and ended up with a sort of hollow sphere with a triangle shaped opening, and another of these spheres inside, and another inside of that one etc... man, don't know what the heck I did wrong.... I will attempt it again...

I really need to study more on how C4D handles things... another good study subject here... Way to go Bill... keep the lessons a coming Mike

Great cord Mike. Thanks for the instructions. I tried something similar but couldn't get the sweep nurb to bend, it just rotated. Must have had the settings really messed up. It was past my normal bed time

Hey Gidget, I'll post that wire frame when I get home from work this evening. That Simply 3D technique sounds like a great time saver.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

@Soquili - Nice phone! Great idea for a model. The body is great but the handset seems a bit blocky. Can't wait to get into this weeks lesson myself.

@Mike Baily - Thanks for the info on the helix, I was wondering about it myself but had not tried using them until now. I thought it would be easier making a spline then moving some of the points on the other axes to put the spline into 3d space but the helix wouldn't form over it in a sweep nurb, got really messed up results. I popped a circle in there and of course it works just fine (picture attached). Many of the other splines also work beautifully along a sweep nurb spline but the helix does not seem to. If you know how to make this work along a sweep nurb spline that would be awesome but maybe this is a limitation of how the helix works? The bend deformer works weird when you try and use more than one. For my assignment I started making a paperclip but soon found the second bend deformer bending the other end of the paperclip at the same time even though the deformer box was not enclosing it. I finally gave up and figured a simple sweep nurb along a spline and circle would be best for a paperclip.

@gidgit - Nice cord, man you jumped through a number of programs for that!

-Tek

Name:	helix_spline_test.gif 
Views:	473 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	2402  

Thanks Teknal. Yeah, the handset is really a work in progress, needs a lot of work I think I'll have to start from scratch and make it from more than a simple cube.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ended up with a sort of hollow sphere with a triangle shaped opening, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gidgit, in the objects manager make sure the circle is above the helix and they are on the same plane in the attributes manager.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I tried something similar but couldn't get the sweep nurb to bend, it just rotated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, pay attention to the orientation, size and placement of the bend deformer. You may have to rotate the deformer to be orientated along the length of the object you want to bend. You also have 3 modes of operation, I am using the limited mode. play with the other 2 to see what happens.

I have attached an image with 2 bend deformers working together on a helix.

Tek, when you do a sweep, you need a profile and a path. the helix is more of a path than it is a profile, if you sweep it along a path its going to be a real funky looking thing-a-ma-jig.