Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need to turn white surrounding a BMP Xara drawing into transparent but still have it in BMP form. Is this possible using PNG somehow first?

I need to turn white surrounding a BMP Xara drawing into transparent but still have it in BMP form. Is this possible using PNG somehow first?

But if it's already a BMP and you want the white transparent and you're using it in Xara:
    Select the image
    Give it a "Stained Glass" transparency

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

All bmp's exported show a rectangular frame with a white background and your drawing. I wnt transparency for the white background. So, I want only what's within the outside outline of the drawing to be preserved and recognized. It has to be bmp. I don't know if that is possible. PNG yes I think, but not BMP.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Please Shokan - tell us more about what you are trying to do in that application that accepts only bmps. Perhaps there is some other way. For instance why is the transparency desirable? Is another background colour involved? If so we could advise you how to make your bmp have the same colour background.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Shokan,

EVERY bitmap is ALWAYS a rectangle.

Formats that support transparency, like GIF or PNG, just don't SHOW the rectangular appearance because of this very transparency.

BMP, like Steve and Ross already said, does not support transparency.

You may either use PNG, GIF and in certain cases TIF, or you can give your BMP the same background like it's placed on. This will then LOOK as if transparent.

If you are trying to let text flow around your shape (like in Xpress for instance), you will need to manually create a path when using BMP.

Wolfgang

Imagine and Illusion use 32 bit BMP's with their software. I've tried brining those files into Xara and it inverts the alpha channel, but it does import.

If only there were a way to simply invert alpha channels of transparent images brought into Xara.

Also anyone here have any luck with animated bmps?

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Do you know where there is an example?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Circa Power Point 3, there was the possibility to use a black & white device independent bitmap with transparency. As I remember, the bitmap was saved in MS Paint to the format. When inserted into Power Point, there was a recolor command, and you coould change black to a color. It was posible to stack several together containing different colors to get a transparent colored graphic. This is the best as I remember after such a long time. I always traced to vector, and deleted the backgrounds in those versions. Rich