Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I installed a trial of Xara X from a CD that was with a magazine. They reviewed it positive, so I wanted to try it out.
    So I came here. I have not read all the topics yet (this will take several days). I have also studied mr.Priesters book in the Xaelot.

My question:

I want a circular or elliptical transparancy that is transparant on the INSIDE of the circle or ellips and that has the color on the outside.

I tried to make a transparant gradient with the fill tool and the NO COLOR option, but that does not give transparancy.
    So I tried the transparancy tool. I tried , but could only change the color, not the direction.
    So I searched for an Inverse command, but couldn't find it.
    This is a beginners problem, I know, and there will be a simple answer, but I can't find it.
    Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

I installed a trial of Xara X from a CD that was with a magazine. They reviewed it positive, so I wanted to try it out.
    So I came here. I have not read all the topics yet (this will take several days). I have also studied mr.Priesters book in the Xaelot.

My question:

I want a circular or elliptical transparancy that is transparant on the INSIDE of the circle or ellips and that has the color on the outside.

I tried to make a transparant gradient with the fill tool and the NO COLOR option, but that does not give transparancy.
    So I tried the transparancy tool. I tried , but could only change the color, not the direction.
    So I searched for an Inverse command, but couldn't find it.
    This is a beginners problem, I know, and there will be a simple answer, but I can't find it.
    Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome,

1. With your circle selected press the transparency icon

2. Click on the small square at the end of the arrow and change the transparency slider to 0%

3. Click the inside square and change the slider to 100% or less.

See attachment

Is this what you had in mind?

Regards, Joel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	4250  

Hello Eva

This is Mr. Priester here. My friends call me Gary :-)

What you want to do is easy. Apply a Circular or Elliptical transparency.

With the Transparency Tool selected, click the center control handle and change the slider setting on the Infobar at the top of the screen to 100% (completely transparent). Now click the outside control handle and change the transparency slider to 0% (no transparency)

You can also expreiment with the profile settings (press the arrow icon on the Infobar) to change the halfway point of the transparency.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Name:	transp.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	16847  

Joel

You posted just before I did. Sorry.

By the way, my response to your e-mail got bounced back again which is why you have not heard from me.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

That's ok Gary. I was just so happy that there was a question I could answer. Regards, Joel

Now I see why you say in your book that this is the best transparancy tool you know.

I tried it out before I posted this and it works fine. I also discovered the arrow left of the slider and tried that out too. Xara is full of hidden wonders.

Thanks Gary (friends) and thanks Joel.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

One more thing to add +++++

Profiles available when the transparency tool is selected, add greatly to the flexibility of the transparency tool. In the example below the black circle was given circular transparency. The characteristics of the transparency are interactively adjustable with the profile settings.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	profiles.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	20032  

Make sure you try out the three and four point transparencies from the drop down box at far left (also the other transparency options like fractal clouds etc...). XaraX has great transparency options :-D

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Another xara tip is that sometimes the effect you are after is most easily achieved by by first setting your fill and then when you apply transparency using the transparency types (like stained glass or bleach).

You can for instance achieve much more subtle effects by applying fractal transparencies to objects that also have fractal fills.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	transparency.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	6252