Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Activity

Hi folks,
    I see that there have been some changes made to the format and it seems that the access problems have been solved. I hope we can now get on with forum activity. There doesn't seem to have been much happening for the last few days.
    IP

Hi folks,
    I see that there have been some changes made to the format and it seems that the access problems have been solved. I hope we can now get on with forum activity. There doesn't seem to have been much happening for the last few days.
    IP

Hi,

You want activity? OK.. what kind?

It has been pretty dead around here. What with my messages not being responded to, I was pretty sure that it was time for me to leave. Instead, I got a private e-mail message from one of this group's members saying "You win." Win what, I wondered? Anyway, he said he was leaving the forum and had removed all of his messages.. and that Athena would be disappointed. I wrote back saying I was sorry to hear that and that as far as I could see, no one won anything.

So what's the deal here anyway? Are we here to talk about Painter or to do what?

I'd love to see some more Painter activity.

By the way, and on that note, have you ever tried playing with the Smeary Bristle Brush and moving the sliders in the Brush Controls palette Mouse section for Tilt and Bearing? If not, it's a trip!

Please let me know if you find the time to do that... (this is in Painter 6).

Take care,

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hello,
    In responce to your question regarding the smeary brushes and sliders, I have to say yes I probably have. That is when I am experimenting with Painter and I have time to play. I try to use the default brushes when I am working on an picture. The main reason for this is simply that to me, it is like eating Chips and I can't do just one. I wind up spending lots of time fooling around with the brushes and don't get any work done.
    Another reason that I try to stay with the defalts is that in the past I have not tried to save custom brushes due to lots of crashes and reloads. Since I have added more memory and done some other things suggested by you and others Painter is behaving much, much, much better these days. I probably will venture into saving brushes and textures.
    I must agree with you, it is a hoot to experiment with the many ways of Painter.
    IP

so Felix took off? that explains the felix, hector and emu thing in the forum list. the list, these few days, has been very slow. but this is probably due to the abscence of athena and the odd issues with access problems to the forums. also this whole painter forum is only about a month or so old and poorly promoted. the i/us homepage should have more obvious attention made of the forum than it presently does. as it is there are not many sites of this sort that are in any way promoting painter at all. ironically, painter is supposed to be a 'Mac' based software but attempt to find a Mac oriented site that even mentions painter's existence! it's very rare. and now with Corel behind the helm expect even less. just give this forum a little more time an d it'll find it's way, besides, athena is a unique moderator who's fascinating to read.

stecyk66`
    IP

Hi Greg and Jinny!

I was stunned by the changes. Can't say I miss the rating stars that much but I do know I'll miss Felix. I hope that the promise to leave is one promise he'll consider breaking (I really never advocate anyone break their promises. . . I take them so seriously but . . . sigh, oh well. . . I guess I understand . . . I'll try). As Jinny said, contributions here are voluntary and we should not make demands of our vistors' time or charity.

I got home late monday (around 9pm central) and didn't log on 'till the wee hours of the 24th. . . . Shell-shocked, stunned, broadsided . . . not sure I have the appropriate word for how I felt when I saw what had happened. I had to give myself time to think of the events.

I won't get another one of my quasi tutorials up for another few days. I think I may be brave and post one of my painter pics in the gallery. But that might not be 'til later (friday at the latest is my goal). Compared to the cool stuff I've seen from Greg (Monastic Bat), Felix, Jinny, and Bruce (BR) it may prove a disappointment. But I really don't live to compare my stuff to others. My aunt once told me never to compare yourself --- you'll always find someone better than you are and you'll always find someone worse.

So, in short, I'll post the picture because I like it and I had fun creating it from scratch in painter 6.

As for the goal of the forum. I have many goals fo r the forum:
    1. to talk about painter
    2. to talk about painting and drawing techniques for those of us self taught users of painter (sorry if I promised this one prematurely . . . I try to specifically state what I promise . . . anything else I consider a goal that may or may not be on schedule)
    3. anything relating to art . . . so we can inspire other aspiring Painter artists (painter users don't live on pcs/macs alone)

I would counsel patience in expecting responses to postings. For the longest time (I'm talking months and we know how that translates into internet time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]), the i-us painter forum was floundering with only a few tech support questions being asked. (I'm trying to bring other issues to the surface).

I only started moderating September 1, 2000. With a little nourishment, the forum has been growing but it will take time for the other visitors to come back and realize that there is active discussion going on here. And it will take time for traffic of this forum to pick up. I know that one is inclined to expect a response when one takes the time to publish info (I rush to see how my postings have fared when I come to the forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) but I also know some people may be just getting into the habit of coming back more than once a month. I've had some tech support answers that I've given sit for two weeks before I heard whether it helped or not.

So,in short, thank you to all of you who have contributed postings and thank you to all of you who have read silently as the dramas unfold. I look forward to seeing all the painter postings you make when you feel comfortable enough and have time enough to speak.

Thanks again,

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Thanks

you're my treasured Mac expert!

This Painter forum wouldn't be complete without you.

Athena

(only saw your post after I'd finished penning mine)

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Mr. Bat, er... Greg,

When you begin creating custom brushes, patterns, papers, etc. remember to first create a new library by using the Mover and dragging one brush, pattern, or paper, etc. into the new library. It may be good to drag all of the defaults into the new library, so you have a base on which to build custom brushes, patterns, or papers, then delete the ones you don't want.

Using this method, and keeping your custom libraries in a separate folder that's not part of the Painter installation, your Painter default libraries are untouched and should you have a crash and have to reinstall, your custom library files will be safe and easy to load again.

Yes, it's a hoot to experiment and explore Painter. I find myself staying up all night.. often. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinn

Jinny Brown
    IP

hi stecyk,

Actually, there are a number of them and the more we have the better. I think it would also help this forum to be in touch with them and by doing that, attract people to this forum as well.

Not that I haven't mentioned them before.. or not that I won't continue to.. but here's a short list:

http://216.246.51.202/forums/painter/index.htm

http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

http://www.egroups.com/group/painterworld

http://www.desktoppublishing.com/pai...intertalk.html

http://www.egroups.com/group/netpainting

I hesitate to post a very lengthy Painter Community resource list that I've compiled over the past year or two, but if anyone wants it, please write to me at jinbrown@pixelalley.com and I'll be happy to send it to you. Many Painter users on other lists have requested it and I always send it to them right away.

It contains all of the above listed forums and more, including Painter artists' websites many of which offer free nozzles, paper textures, patterns, and tutorials. In addition, contact information for Corel Painter is listed including a direct e-mail address to Tanya Staples, Corel Painter Product Manager, who, by the way, has been extremely helpful and responsive.

Since it's several pages long.. it would bog down this thread to post it here. I hope you all write and ask for it because it will be helpful to you if you're really interested in using and enjoying Painter.

Best wishes, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP

Athena,

My experience with Painter and other forums, lists, newsgroups, and message boards is that they ebb and flow. Even on ones with the largest number of subscribers it can slow down to a crawl.. then pick up and have so many messages in only one day that a reader's head is spinning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What's wanted is not so much quantity, but quality.. and some steady contributors. When we post a message or share an image and don't get a response, or as many and the kind we expect, the fault is mainly in expecting. People have lives to live, demanding schedules, and sometimes just are not interested in that particular subject while they may be interested in the next one.

As I've said before, you have a good core group here and providing no one's made to feel intruded upon or abused, I'd expect that the good ones will stay and more will join.

Frankly, the simpler i/us makes these forums the better. It's not worth the bother to have a lot of bells and whistles that either don't work at all, don't work half the time, or when they do, slow everything down. What's most beneficial to a group of Painter users (or any other art group for that matter) is to have a way to communicate and share their work and their knowledge. We can do all of these here by typing messages and posting URLs inside the messages. This works and doesn't entangle us with other unexpected and uncontrollable (by us at least) glitches in the system.

Take it easy, the group's doing fine, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP