Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Whilst in the process of upgrading and tweaking the hell out of WinXP Pro, a friend that was over helping out in the long, tedious process turned me onto a site that I think that everyone should know about.

The site is called Gibson Research Corporation. And while they sell services and software they also have a wonderful test for your computer.

I had uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro. It was just TO intense. Slowed my activities down to a crawl and my e-mail (already protected by Norton) was even slower and that's not OK to me.

So there I was with just my Norton Anti Virus running and I went out to GRC and ran the test, I failed just about all of them except for the Virus Scan tests. The ports failed and my NetBios were exposed, NOT GOOD!!! So then I went ahead and invoked the onboard XP Firewall, works really good according to this sites tests!!! Everything passed with flying colors and the Firewall is set up to allow for you to do what you need to do without slowing you down, to much. I notice a bit of slowness but not enough to want to turn it off.

Zone Alarm may be considered #1 but in my book it seems to almost cripple the system. Playing with the settings did not seem to help. It's also a bear to uninstall!!! XP's Firewall works well. I'm sticking with that for the time being and maybe I'll look into Nortons Personal Firewall later on!!

Here is the address for the page: GRC testing Do both tests: "Test My Shields" and "Probe My Ports". Let us know how you did, OK??

PS: They also have some freeware you might be interested in too!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Whilst in the process of upgrading and tweaking the hell out of WinXP Pro, a friend that was over helping out in the long, tedious process turned me onto a site that I think that everyone should know about.

The site is called Gibson Research Corporation. And while they sell services and software they also have a wonderful test for your computer.

I had uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro. It was just TO intense. Slowed my activities down to a crawl and my e-mail (already protected by Norton) was even slower and that's not OK to me.

So there I was with just my Norton Anti Virus running and I went out to GRC and ran the test, I failed just about all of them except for the Virus Scan tests. The ports failed and my NetBios were exposed, NOT GOOD!!! So then I went ahead and invoked the onboard XP Firewall, works really good according to this sites tests!!! Everything passed with flying colors and the Firewall is set up to allow for you to do what you need to do without slowing you down, to much. I notice a bit of slowness but not enough to want to turn it off.

Zone Alarm may be considered #1 but in my book it seems to almost cripple the system. Playing with the settings did not seem to help. It's also a bear to uninstall!!! XP's Firewall works well. I'm sticking with that for the time being and maybe I'll look into Nortons Personal Firewall later on!!

Here is the address for the page: GRC testing Do both tests: "Test My Shields" and "Probe My Ports". Let us know how you did, OK??

PS: They also have some freeware you might be interested in too!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Richard,

I am happy to report that - according to Gibson - my system is safe and sound.
    I even tried their "LeakTest" software and passed this test as well.

Of course I have my trustee Zone Alarm up and running. And either it does not slow down my computer that much or I am already so used to it that it does not matter.

I also tried the tests *without* Zonealarm and I was twice as happy then to have this program. Some critical ports would be wide open without it. But with ZA running, every port shows "Stealth" which is really good news.

Thanks for the link, I always like to doublecheck ...

I have used the free Zone Alarm version for about a year and a half, since I got my AT&T high speed cable modem, and I haven't noticed any appreciable slowing of my system from using it. I can turn it off and not notice any difference at all.

Does it slow down your internet experience, or everything else, too? Just curious.

The free Zone Alarm passes with flying colors on protecting the ports and everything else.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Well, it seems that my system is the strangest system around. Brushes crash XaraX and Zone Alarm makes the internet and the e-mail situation like mollasas. What can I say. I have a Gateway computer. Maybe THAT'S the problem. Maybe it's Karma [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Who knows!!! All I know, for right now, the XP firewall is just fine for my needs and as I mentioned, the personal firewall by symantic looks really good too. So maybe when I get a few dollars I will consider it.

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

There must be something very odd with your system. I'm running XP and am using Zone Alarm as well as Norton Anti Virus---I had also used the Zone Labs Pest Patrol to check for spyware and all is clean. I then went to your site above to check for vulnerabilities and my system passed on all tests. Why not try just the regular free verson of Zone Alarm and see if it'll work for ya. It sure does for me and doesn't slow it down at all that I can see! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Have a good one!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

has been around for a long time (if anyone was wondering) and I believe we cam all trust him (I have no connection with him!)

Jon
    Jon

Try the free version of Zone Alarm. You are probably wary of them by now, but something ain't right with the pro version if it slows you down so much.

I have a Gateway, too. I also have a problem with brushes crashing, so I seldom use them.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I tried the test and passed with flying colours.
    I have no firewall software installed on my machine but I am accessing the net through a Router, seems to be a simple solution.