Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Could someone recommend a forum devoted to just Web Design?

I need one that can get pretty technical, where I can get information about and discuss many subjects.

I envision a forum with subject headings like:
    General, Perl, ColdFusion, Dreamweaver, HTML & Javascript, ECommerce, PHP, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale2.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Could someone recommend a forum devoted to just Web Design?

I need one that can get pretty technical, where I can get information about and discuss many subjects.

I envision a forum with subject headings like:
    General, Perl, ColdFusion, Dreamweaver, HTML & Javascript, ECommerce, PHP, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale2.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

http://www.weberdev.com/

But it isn't as friendly and intimate(!) as here.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I get the digest of Webdesign-l. It's a very busy mail list. Take a look here.

Mickie

hey hey, before looking onwards, may I suggest simply posting the technical question(s) in mind...not that I am proficient in this area, but ya never know, there are many who frequent this board who are... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't have just one question, and I am seeking a body of knowledge to increase my understanding.

But since you ask, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] here's what I will be looking for:

I have been looking to build a couple of websites that will have hundreds/thousands of products in a database, for sale, using a shopping cart system, and taking CC orders, etc., with full security.

I don't know the best approach to setting up a system like this, and have wanted to keep my client's sites on UNIX servers. BUT, I don't want to mess with Perl/CGI code from now until eternity trying to tweak a system. And so far I am unimpressed with the UNIX-based systems I've seen.

I am willing to train myself on ASP, MySQL, PHP, etc., for a stable payoff, but I assume that means migrating my client's sites to an NT server.

I would really like to purchase an entire database/shopping cart package I could re-use over and over, and just don't know what that would be. I am just ignorant on the subject, and need to enter the world of E-commerce without making too many mistakes or blowing a lot of money on software/systems that I will end up replacing.

What about ColdFusion?

Will I be able to install my system/database/software on my web host's servers? (My web host rep seems pretty ignorant about what his clients use, or how.)

If you have any information, or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I need an overview, and then some specifics after I am pointing the right way.

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

- Lewis Carroll

Hrer are a few links you might wish to follow up on regarding shopping carts and the like...

shooping cart software example 1

a url with links to this companies clients sites as examples

try before you buy trial for shopping cart software

more e store shopping stuff by Monster

HTH ya there Dale, let us know what ya come up with... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Shopping carts are a lot like these forums in that your host must offer the correct capabilitiy re php, mysql, etc. on their end ( many hosting companies worth their salt do offer what is nescessary eg. PHP 5.o etc., and there are several packages out that are fairly straightforward to configure, to which the only other considerations are security one one side, and traffic on the other ) ya may have to get a new host if your current one does not support such, or only offers shared bins etc...or turn to a remote hosting option...or do the hosting yourself of course, though this route would take some consideration and set up to achieve proper results...

anybody else care to elaborate further?...

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 27, 2002 at 00:36.]

Hi Dale ...

While I thank both Simon and Gidget for their kind words, I understand where you are coming from. Try evolt's the list ( http://lists.evolt.org/ ) - many great technically oriented folks and very helpful.

Having said that, PHP, MySQL are meant to run on Unix (or Linux) servers - maybe you were thinking of MS-SQL the Microsoft-centric db? - so no worries there. And in all fairness, I don't care what pre-packaged ecomm system you end up choosing, you will be tweaking and refining ad inifitum - it's part of the job. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com

That gives me a good start, and I can do more research on the web and see what I can come up with.

Have you actually USED any of these software packages?

I'd like to use something that comes with a recommendation from a forum member, who has used the software on his/her sites.

And Jen, thanks for the info and link. Your information about PHP/MySQL is exactly the type of information I am looking for. Not knowing much about this area, I am kind of groping around in the dark, looking for a glimmer of understanding.

I do expect to do SOME tweaking, as that is the nature of the game, but not rewriting a lot of code because it is so buggy/unworkable.

And thank you, Mickie and Simon. I am checking out your suggestions.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to go to Barnes & Noble, and look for a book that will clearly give me an overview of Ecommerce, and the technologies available. (If such a book is available.)

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

- Lewis Carroll

Hi Dale, nope, I havn't used these products, only did some basic checking into such is all...hence the asking for others to elaborate further [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sort of thought that several people throwing around suggestions may lead to further discovery [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]