Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here

Hello all! I just found this Painter bb due to Jinny Brown's post on the Painter mailing list. After looking through some of the topics and tutorials here, all I can say is WOW! There sure some talented folks here! I may be a bit out of place here, since I'm not much of an artist, but am a big fan of Painter and have been using it since version 4.

I am an avid amateur digital photographer with my Sony DSC 770 camera and love taking some of my photos and using the cloner brushes in Painter to give them a painted look. Recently, on another bb I frequent there has been some interest in Painter Classic since it is bundled with the Wacom Graphire tablet which many members there own. I have been trying to encourage them with a few tips and tricks I've learned with PC, in hopes that some may move on to the full version of Painter.

Anyway, here is a sample, if I can figure out how to post an image here, of what I've done recently with Painer Classic.

http://w3.cablespeed.com/~jimt/files/oil-rose.jpg
    IP

Hello all! I just found this Painter bb due to Jinny Brown's post on the Painter mailing list. After looking through some of the topics and tutorials here, all I can say is WOW! There sure some talented folks here! I may be a bit out of place here, since I'm not much of an artist, but am a big fan of Painter and have been using it since version 4.

I am an avid amateur digital photographer with my Sony DSC 770 camera and love taking some of my photos and using the cloner brushes in Painter to give them a painted look. Recently, on another bb I frequent there has been some interest in Painter Classic since it is bundled with the Wacom Graphire tablet which many members there own. I have been trying to encourage them with a few tips and tricks I've learned with PC, in hopes that some may move on to the full version of Painter.

Anyway, here is a sample, if I can figure out how to post an image here, of what I've done recently with Painer Classic.

http://w3.cablespeed.com/~jimt/files/oil-rose.jpg
    IP

Welcome Jim
    I think you'll be right at home here.
    We're not much chop as artistes either but we are fanatical about painter.

Soon you'll know the sublime pleasure and that warm, fuzzy sort of gooey feeling that you get knowing millions of little streams of consciousness just like you are looking at your post.

Regards T
    IP

Welcome Qom!

That is a lovely photo of a rose that you started with. And you manipulated the photo very nicely into a painting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I like it.

Sometimes in digital images people tend to filterize the image (especially plugin and program vendors) and say, "look at how painterly it looks!". And people like me look at the plug-in effect and say .. ."nope it looks very computerish and unnatural"

But you did a fantastic job of giving brush strokes for each part of the flower. . . .very nicely done . . .clearly not a simple filter effect. Well done. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

To begin with, your photo has beautiful compostition which we can breifly define as placement of objects within an image and still that definition tells you nothing of what compostion is. . . (hmm maybe I'll have to revive that old thread on composition. . . you photographers have to have a good grasp of it to get those great photos) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But don't let me distract you from my main point and that is: your rose image is very pretty.

You're right, we are very blessed to have so many talented Painter users visit and share their experiences with us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

So be sure to take advantage of the fact that you have their attention. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I like to hope that people who are less schooled in art, drawing, painting etc. feel welcome here in this forum because, in truth, the experienced can learn from the inexperienced (and vice versa [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I may be a bit out of place here, since I'm not much of an artist, but am a big fan of Painter and have been using it since version 4. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a big fan of Painter is really all that is required [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. As Jinny herself has said, no one can pretend to be a Painter expert. We are all learning this program . . . we're learning every day.

And having fun with painter is the other big thing here in this forum. We try to share the fun we've been having [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So welcome to the forum. Relax, have some of Stecyk's coffee along with Greg and me and have fun with us. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] maybe we'll all watch some light shows together.

and thank you for posting your rose [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Jim and Welcome to the group.
    I do like your Roses, they are beautiful and well done. Hope to see lots more of your work.
    Keep up your campaign to convert Classic users to Painter.
    Regards,
    Greg.
    IP

Hi there Jim [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

all the comments addressed to Qom are really addressed to you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

(i am not losing it. . there was a different name in the heading [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

anyway welcome [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Athena

Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

topper!

nice to see another 'classic' user in the mix. feel free to post anytime.

stecyk66
    IP

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm sure I'll be able to learn some great techniques here. Glad you liked my rose picture too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm a poor judge of my own work, and like hearing what others think of what I do.

Athena, qom is the logon name I chose, however I went back and edited my profile to include my real name on my posts... sorry to cause any confusion.

Stacyk, I use both Painter Classic and P6. However since I have an older PC PII300 I've found that PC is much more responsive than P6. Although P6 has some wonderful features and brushes that PC doesn't. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

Tom (or Qom if you prefer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Hi, and welcome to the Painter Forum. Not only is your photo beautiful, your painting is delicious. I love your use of brush strokes.

As others have said, I hope to see lots more of your work.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Here is an interesting comparison of one of my digital photos I redid in both P6 and PC. The cloner brush strokes are much more subtle in P6 than Classic. The same cloner brushs and tracing paper technique were used for both images.

http://w3.cablespeed.com/~jimt/files/flower_R2.jpg

This is the P6 version.

http://w3.cablespeed.com/~jimt/files/PCtutpic.jpg

This is the Classic version.
    IP