Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi RJ

Glad you liked it. I haven't used Illustrator since its early versions with apple in 93/94? But yes, you can do it in AI.

I'd love to outline what I did but that's gonna take a chapter and a super long page. So ....

Mark the keeper - Captain, I'm new and I don't know the contols of this warp drive. Got any suggestions how I can pull this off?

Hang on RJ. By the way, how are you with photoshop.

dv8

[This message was edited by dv8_fx on March 07, 2002 at 10:10.]
    IP

Hi,

I'm ok with Photoshop. I'm still got a lot of learning to do. I'm just now discovering layer styles and actions. I'm trying to figure out how to use the actions feature, though.

I have some images that I uploaded here. I think a couple are in the Xara X forum in the CD Artwork challenge.

Well.. look to hear from ya soon. Thanks a lot.

RJ
    IP

Hi,

I'm ok with Photoshop. I'm still got a lot of learning to do. I'm just now discovering layer styles and actions. I'm trying to figure out how to use the actions feature, though.

I have some images that I uploaded here. I think a couple are in the Xara X forum in the CD Artwork challenge.

Well.. look to hear from ya soon. Thanks a lot.

RJ
    IP

RJ,
    I suddenly remembered a freefont site where you can download fonts almost similar to those in your image like Metallica and Mystical. I don't remember the add. Search for free fonts sites.
    dv8
    IP

I gotta tell ya there RJ,

Simply 3D by Micrografx ( now the property of Corel ) will handle most any 3d text task thrown at... perhaps even better than many of the big apps....really easy wizard...and you can define kinds of bevel, size of bevel, color of bevel...can choose different colors for the front, the bevels, and the sides...choose different transparencies for each...bla bla...change shapes, define bumps, reflections etc... S3D comes in a package called Webtricity which also contains Windows Draw (which sucks) and as well Picture Publisher 8 which is actually real good in it's own areas...I got the package two years ago for $75 and I am betting that one could pick it up now for dirt cheap... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Make your text the way ya want, and bring it into PS or what ever for final tweaking or to add it to whatever page your working on...

Here's a quick example to demonstrate irregular shaping, transparency, multi coloring, lighting etc. I'll do up some proper examples as time allows and post them in the 3d forum... S3d really is Aok for the price [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://www3.telus.net/thegidgitzone/s3dtextexample1.gif

[This message was edited by gidgit on March 18, 2002 at 03:10.]
    IP

Hey Hey,

I tell ya' what, Gigit, me and you end up talking in just about every forum on this site! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I don't mind, though, you're cool peoples. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

About your text image, I like it. I plan on getting S 3D because, from what I have read about it, it's cool. Thanks for the image, it's nice! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
    RJ (The Postmaster)
    IP

Wow, have I been away that long? Two weeks on the road on assignment.

RJ, have you figured out the text I sent you? Still interested in the how part? I found a text tutorial that exactly outlines my procedure on how I create the PS text. This is my other half of it --

Tutorial 2

1. In Corel Draw, type text using selected bold font.

2. Break apart text. Select text, In menu, ARRANGE>BREAK APART

3. Use tranformation to shape text and layout text. or double click on text and use left/right sliders to distort the text. If you feel industrious, transform text to object and reshape the text via nodes manipulation.

Or if you really feel up to it, draw your text on paper the way you want it, scan in Corel, redraw/compose it as you would a clipart object.

4. Export file to Photoshop in PSD format. For earlier PS versions, by AI.

Now the fun part...

Tutorial 3

After creating the tutorial text, unhide the text layer copy previously created. I do new things on a new layer coz the orig layer may come in handy for other stuff.

1. Make your choice of background and foreground colors ( mine was yellow and medium brown ).

2. Create new layer for swirl work. Position this layer second to the top. It should replace the yellow parts of the text previously created.

In the menu, FILTER>RENDER>CLOUDS. Alien clouds created.

3. Select the pixels on the text layer (hold down CTRL/click on text layer on layer pallette).

4. Click on clouds layer to make it the active layer. Invert text selection (SHIFT+CNTRL+I). Delete inverted selection. You have text with Alien cluds. Don't deselect. Inverse back.

5. This depends on you having Eye Candy 3. Use the swirl filter to create what I have in my text image to you.

Once you have all this done. You can create a bevel edge on the alien cloud text either by Eye Candy's bevel filter or by tutorial I steps 4 to 6. The longcut way maintains a total PS creation without 3rd party filters (the way I like it).

One more thing, The background was created with Flaming Pear's BladePro.

Play around with the tutorial to find variations or improve the procedures. Remember - Experimentation is the sister of the mother of invention. (uhhh?)

Have fun RJ. You too, TalkGraphics guys.

[This message was edited by dv8_fx on March 19, 2002 at 08:09.]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Gigit, I must say that's cool. I've heard of it but never used S3d before much less see an example of what it can do. This I gotta look into. Thanks for that visual tip.

By the way, how does it export? Can it export in different formats like PSD, AI or Crl?
    IP

S3D is just your run of the mill, very basic 3D app that shines in the text and basic shape creation area...it saves as gif, tif, jpeg, vista, targa, of course s3d for 3D object files as well...VRML so as you can save your work and pop it into say C4D...or other fav 3D apps...from which many will allow ya ta save it most any way you are looking for... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'll do up a illustrated mini review and post it in the 3D forum, that way ya all can see just what it can and can't do...look for it if your interested, should be done by tommorow ( you know what they say about tommorow ) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

HI

Bit late but the easiest way (for me anyway) to do 3D text is to use KPT vector effects in illustrator and then bring into photoshop
    IP