Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm sorry; Corel Corp. did not follow in the grand tradition of Kai's Power Tools or Metacreations to come up with this stale, wimpy plug-ins release for Photoshop.

Here's what you get for $200 (!!!???):
    -KPT Channel Surfing-This is a total embarassment. This "amazing" plug-in allows you to manipulate color channels individually. If this isn't the second thing you learned when you picked up Photoshop and discovered the Channels palette, this plug-in might be of use. NOT.
    -KPT Fluid-A poor version of KPT Goo. The target image is far too liquidy to do serious creative work, and unlike Goo, KPT Fluid only offers one, not seven tools for working in the image. Like Goo, Fluid will make a movie out of the mess we create.
    -KPT FRAXFLAME II-This module creates fractal flames. But don't expect to easily get a REALISTIC flame.
    -KPT Gradient Lab-Um, this was featured in the very first version of Kai's Power Tools, and most imaging programs already have multicolor blending.
    -KPT HyperTiling-Interesting. It makes weird, 3D tiling by simply moving the cursor.
    -KPT InkDropper. WOAH! Now here's one you'll use every day. It applies inky water to your image.
    -KPT Lightning-Another "use it once filter". Does credible lightning effects.
    -KPT Pyramid. Real misleading name. Does the same as Photoshop's Dry Brush or Facet filter.
    -KPT Particles-Distributes particles of different sizes on top of an image.

It's a big "So what?", folks. I'd say it's worth around $50, considering what Flaming Pear filters do for the money, and considering KPT 6, which costs about the same money--gives you a REAL creative environment in which to work. KPT 6 is almost a program unto itself, with 3D modeling, sky making, and innovative filtering you can't find anywhere else like KPT Reaction.

Corel Corp. appears to be targeting the Macintosh audience with their "Procreate" line of products, but you'd be a fool to let them take your money for this pathetic follow up to traditionally creative plug-ins, be you a Mac or Windows user.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    IP

I'm sorry; Corel Corp. did not follow in the grand tradition of Kai's Power Tools or Metacreations to come up with this stale, wimpy plug-ins release for Photoshop.

Here's what you get for $200 (!!!???):
    -KPT Channel Surfing-This is a total embarassment. This "amazing" plug-in allows you to manipulate color channels individually. If this isn't the second thing you learned when you picked up Photoshop and discovered the Channels palette, this plug-in might be of use. NOT.
    -KPT Fluid-A poor version of KPT Goo. The target image is far too liquidy to do serious creative work, and unlike Goo, KPT Fluid only offers one, not seven tools for working in the image. Like Goo, Fluid will make a movie out of the mess we create.
    -KPT FRAXFLAME II-This module creates fractal flames. But don't expect to easily get a REALISTIC flame.
    -KPT Gradient Lab-Um, this was featured in the very first version of Kai's Power Tools, and most imaging programs already have multicolor blending.
    -KPT HyperTiling-Interesting. It makes weird, 3D tiling by simply moving the cursor.
    -KPT InkDropper. WOAH! Now here's one you'll use every day. It applies inky water to your image.
    -KPT Lightning-Another "use it once filter". Does credible lightning effects.
    -KPT Pyramid. Real misleading name. Does the same as Photoshop's Dry Brush or Facet filter.
    -KPT Particles-Distributes particles of different sizes on top of an image.

It's a big "So what?", folks. I'd say it's worth around $50, considering what Flaming Pear filters do for the money, and considering KPT 6, which costs about the same money--gives you a REAL creative environment in which to work. KPT 6 is almost a program unto itself, with 3D modeling, sky making, and innovative filtering you can't find anywhere else like KPT Reaction.

Corel Corp. appears to be targeting the Macintosh audience with their "Procreate" line of products, but you'd be a fool to let them take your money for this pathetic follow up to traditionally creative plug-ins, be you a Mac or Windows user.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    IP

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gary,

though I'm NOT a PhotoShop user (and I never will be), I'm working with XARA X and Corel PhotoPaint V 7.0 (yeah, still the 'old' but extremely robust version because the newer ones didn't offer any serious extras), where I can use PS compatible plug-ins. Best of all, the Filter Factory stuff is free and offers almost the same features. And if you kept KPT 3.0, have Alien Skin and Xenofex in your system, you will be able to create all those effects without sweat. KPT 6 was ok, but mem-hungry and always pulled up full screen (which is bugging me on a 1600 x 1200 display).

After reading your comment I knew it was the right decision to invest into Alien Skin and the FF stuff.

Thanks a lot for the warning,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP

Jens: "though I'm NOT a PhotoShop user (and I never will be)"

That's your loss, bud - it's your silly Adobe prejudice again. There is nothing in the known universe which beats Photoshop 6 - right, GDB?

But I agree with your both that KPT is overpriced idiocy.

I've just beeen looking at some demo images made with Lightwave 7.0, and the rendering quality seems fantastic! How do you two 3D guys think LW7 compares to Cinema 4D 7.0? I have an itch for one of these . . .

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

Hi Klaus,
    Been working with Cinema 4D for a while now and I'm getting more used to it. Before I decided on a 3D prog I tried LW 3Smax and a few others, but Cinema got the ( i.m.h.o.) easiest interface.

Still u got to try them all before u decide!

/ R
    IP

"I am not a photoshop user and I will never be" was my phrase of yesterdays, when I played with Altamira Composer, without know the Photoshop´s power... Try, Jens, only once to get used with the photoshop tools and I assure you won´t be regret... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

hahahaha,

guys & girls, thanks for your comments. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Afraid of Photoshop Tools...? "I am not a photoshop user and I will never be" was my phrase of yesterdays, when I played with Altamira Composer, without know the Photoshop <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and here it had been chopped off - wuaaah, I'll re-submit it later... seems the new forum software doesn't like certain characters...

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP