Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

paint shop pro is easier to use

die photoshop die
    IP

oh my how things revolve... this is too rich...

haha... they are all great...apps that is...

as long as they are being used, and those who use em are enjoying themselves...and hopefully making some money to boot... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

I liked it fine, and it seemed pretty intuitive and easy to use, but the output (exported graphics and web graphics) just wasn't up to professional standards, to me, and there were many things I could not do with it.

I got Photoshop, and my prayers were answered. PS is very deep, with tons of features many would never use, but I use a lot of them, and I can seldom think of something I want to do, that PS cannot do, with bitmaps. It takes some time to train on the features of PS, but the work is worth the effort, if you want professional results. There is no problem figuring out why PS is the industry standard for photo-manipulation, and it is unmatched in this respect. The exported graphics of PS are first-rate and consistent.

On the other hand, PS is a huge program and expensive, and you may not use all the stuff it comes with.

As a side note, I now use Xara X to create most of my web graphics, because that makes them scalable to any size. I have noticed that I prefer apps that do one thing well, unlike PSP, which does both vector and bitmap graphics.
    Xara does my vector graphics, and PS does my pixel graphics, and I like that situation just fine. Perhaps you might go that route, with Xara X for vector, and PhotoImpact for bitmaps. Notice that most of the people on these forums use several graphics apps, for different purposes, such as for 3D, for doing printed media, etc.

I usually don't recommend PS unless a person is willing to spend the time to really learn it, and really needs all the capabilities it has to offer.

I have heard that Deneba Canvas does both vectors and bitmaps very well together, but I've never tried it. If you woulld like a do-it-all program, perhaps that would be the way to go.

Look around before you buy, but once you decide, commit and really learn your app, or you will be constantly searching for that "magic" app, instead of just learning the features and capabilities of the app that you have.

My two cents. I really loved the Clone Brush in PSP, and it took me awhile to make the Rubber Stamp Tool in PS work as fast and well.

I have heard that PSP 7 and later are MUCH better than PSP 6. I hope so, because version 6 really fell short, IMHO. PSP 6 was a great app to learn on, but I outgrew it in less than a year.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

I have to agree with Dale, get Xara and photoshop, study up on em a little and you will be cookin. If you like to dream and play add some nice 3D software to the pile.
    IP

I use Paint Shop Pro most of the time becuase I'm used to it. Many people have told me that Photo Shop is better but I can't get used to it even though I've tried a couple times. I guess PSP is easier!!javascript: x()
    Big Grin
    IP

Hey guys, I have used all 3 (only trial version of NS), and seriously, unless you have to create something extremely professional like an animation cell for Disney, NetStudio has been the easiest so far. But, only for Web graphics...things like banners, buttons, nav menus, photos, collages, logos, banner ads, etc. If you need to make these kind of things and you don't have a lot of time to mess around with PSP or PS (albeit those programs create beautiful images), you should check NS out at www.netstudio.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

Leave and go somewhere else spammer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

I think PSP is fading in the market since its release of PSP 7 AE edition and has long time no newer version or update release.

For comparing user friendiness, I think both PhotoImpact and Photo Express from Ulead are much easier for beginners with competitive pricing.

I will not deny of PSP's power features and high compatibility to Photoshop's plugin functions in creating professional paint/photo editing. However, Adobe did not stop their paces to make Photoshop with the market. Most of us realize the popularity of digial camera in typical market and photo editing tends to become common in our home, Photoshop 7's healing brush gave us more alternatives compare to PSP 7 AE for portriat skin color modification.

With so many features and unveils of new versions/products from other competitors, Jasc is required to pay serious attention to next version of PSP.
    IP

Compared to Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro does have one big disadvantage: PSP doesn't store images on disk when working with them. So the size of the image you can work with in PSP is limited to the fact that both the image and the PSP executable have to be able to fit into whatever amount of RAM you have.
    - What this means is: with (trial) Photoshop on a 256-meg RAM PC, I can scan an entire page at 1200 dpi/24-bit color. The image file ends up ~1.2 gigs in size and it takes a while, but it works. I can also edit, save and print the image. ---- Paint Shop Pro cannot do this, it hangs and leaves the HD searching. I can only scan about a third of a page at the same resolution with PSP, and if I add one layer and do anything to the second layer, PSP hangs/freezes, and leaves the HD searching. I asked PSP support about it and they explained what the file size limitation was.
    ~
    IP