Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: jpg

Off-topic?
    Is there good and cheap software to make file size smaller for jpeg and gif.

[This message was edited by panfer on April 23, 2001 at 06:45 PM.]

Off-topic?
    Is there good and cheap software to make file size smaller for jpeg and gif.

[This message was edited by panfer on April 23, 2001 at 06:45 PM.]

Have to say that I use Xara X, and find it excellent for optimising all web graphics except animated GIFs (even images from Photoshop). Used to wonder how some sites combined great looking graphics with tidy file sizes till I started to play with the Xara controls...

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'm with Peter from the Scottish Highlands (my ancestoral home). Xara is my tool of choice for optimization. I frequently open jpgs, tifs, and gifs only to export them from Xara with the settings I want. It is great having the split view in the export dialogue box, and to have the browser preview. Xara's bitmap sharpen filter comes in handy too.

I like that I can use the one tool for the images I create and for optimizing images I didn't create. Keeps things simple so the brain doesn't hurt!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks guys for your input.

Boxtop's Pro-Jpeg gives you the smallest Jpeg files in my opinion. You also have more control over the compression, i.e. Huffmann etc.
    This being said, jpeg is mostly only available as 4:2:2 (brightness and half the value for the two colour channels) which is ok for real photographs but less good for graphics and fractals with sharper edges. Herefore 4:4:4 is better. The file is, of course bigger. The only software I found this option on is Corel Photopaint9.

A touch of anti aliasing can also dramatically reduce the file size.

May I suggest people look at "Image Optimiser" from www.xat.com? It is really good (I think so)

Jon
    Jon