Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

You may have noticed the thread with a preview of next month's Xara/Flash tutorial. Several users of Netscape (myself included) and Opera, could not view the flash movie. Internet Explorer is OK.

While reverse engineering next month's tutorial I went through the same process of setting the scaling factor to 96pix (Drawing) to 72pix (Real World). When I imported the swf files into Flash the scale was wrong. I exported without the scaling enabled and the result was the same.

Can anyone confirm this?

I did last month's tutorial, which displays fine in my copy of Navigator, in the download version. I did next month's in the disc version.

Either something is wrong with my system (highly likely) or something is wrong on the disc version.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

You may have noticed the thread with a preview of next month's Xara/Flash tutorial. Several users of Netscape (myself included) and Opera, could not view the flash movie. Internet Explorer is OK.

While reverse engineering next month's tutorial I went through the same process of setting the scaling factor to 96pix (Drawing) to 72pix (Real World). When I imported the swf files into Flash the scale was wrong. I exported without the scaling enabled and the result was the same.

Can anyone confirm this?

I did last month's tutorial, which displays fine in my copy of Navigator, in the download version. I did next month's in the disc version.

Either something is wrong with my system (highly likely) or something is wrong on the disc version.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

The scaling problem was my screw up. I was exporting a smaller version. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Still would appreciate some help on the Flash export from Xara X disc version problem with Netscape 4.x and Opera browsers.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Hi Gary, I took the liberty to download your radar page, and looked at the code. The problem is, in my opinion as follows:

Internet Explorer needs the OBJECT to translate the Flash movie to ACTIVE X content, this is Micrisofts' answer to Netscape's plug in idea.

Netscape, and Opera need the EMBED tag, to be able to read this NETSCAPE PLUG IN.

And I didn't find the second one, only the "object".
    So this might explain the problem.

Whoever made this code simply left something out as you need both tags to become crossbrowser.

Still the Monitor and the Merimac...they don't care for the best, but want to be right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

My copy of Gary's page uses the standard method of enclosing EMBED tags within OBJECT to cover both NS and IE. It works on my copy of NS 4.5 / Shockwave 3, albeit without sound (I dislike NS so I don't keep it up to date).

The flash plugin for NS (npswf32.dll) is totally different to the IE variety (swflash.ocx), so it's possible to update one without affecting the other. There may also be other files involved and NS may be demanding specific compatibility with Shockwave4, as required in Gary's HTML. Hence, it may be necessary to accept what NS (and Opera) is telling you and download.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

...I simply lookd ovet the EMBED.

SOOOSorry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sean,

in Gary's code there is 'Shockwave' mentioned - it should read FLASH instead!

If you click to get the plug-in, it leads to the Shockwave plug-in installer!!!! I have done this once - you don't have any control over the plug-in installation at all. For security reasons I will never again allow any action like this, particularly because I KNOW that MM delivers several bugs. Worst of all, they force you to their site to view all the idiots game stuff I don't like at all. FLASH is the standard, and if Gary developed a FLASH movie, the embedded object should request the FLASH plug-in only, not other sh...

OK, have fun with 'suck wave' - this is not my game. And for Gary: you should try to get someone at MM to answer your questions why they implemented this piece of a nobrainer.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Sean

I tried it with and without downloading the plug-in (which was already working in Opera on my system). It didn't work any better after downloading and reinstalling the plug-in as per the message.

Erik's suggestion about the OBJECT and EMBED tags makes sense (to an HTML code illiterate such as myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Allison