Oh, Athena!

I like your description of Inkings' picture better than mine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

About explaining derivative work.. I didn't really do much explaining. There's a lot more to know if one wants to be sure they're not walking a thin line or even crossing it.

On the Illustrators list, another artist had a wild tale to tell. She licensed some illustrations for one time use to a company. Later, she found some of them being used by another woman, someone she didn't know at all. When she contacted this woman, she was told that the woman had paid for use of the illustrations and apparently thought they were perfectly legit to buy. Apparently the first company sold the illustrations to some kind of catalog or something (without even changing the original file names!). The second company (now we're coming full circle) sold them to the woman our illustrator contacted.

We heard about this because the illustrator was in search of a good Cease and Desist letter to take to her attorney for approval, then she planned to send it to all parties concerned who were making money by the sale of her work and all doing it illegally.

Last we heard, the attorney had approved the letter and it's going to be sent out. The bottom line is that the illustrator will be taking them to court. The second woman is in a real jam. If she doesn't cough up the names of the people who sold the illustrations to her, she'll be taken to court and sued for big bucks. If she does turn over the names, the illustrator and her attorney have agreed to settle with the woman for $1.00. She may truly be innocent in the sense that she had no idea this work was not legally being sold. However, the illustrator explained to her (on her attorney's advice) "If you can't supply me with the names, I will have to conclude that you are the guilty party."

What a mess!

Earlier, I was mainly explaining why I was so intent on the subject of copyrights. I always have been but hearing these stories keeps it in the forefront of my mind.

OK.... I'm willing to get back to smearing paint around if you all are.. I'd love to see what everyone can come up with using Painter's Quick Warp Effect.. on just any old colorful image.

Have a great week, everyone! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
http://www.pixelalley.com