Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Inkings - I hope you don't mind my creating a derivative work from your image. I took a copy of your image into Xara X and started playing with its blend and transparency tools. Of course the explosion of colour wouldn't have happened without your great image. Would such a manipulation of the image be easy to do in Painter?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on June 24, 2001 at 12:37.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colourexplosion.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	8531  
    IP

Ross, I don't mind as long as you keep me going when my uloads don't make it.Á [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the feed back everyone.
    IP

Hi all

It's always a good practice to ask before using anyone's image. There's been a lot of discussion her in IDD about just that topic and, though it's obvious that this time it was done with the best of intentions, most artists would definitely not want people doing anything with their work unless prior and specific permission was given.

The images we've used here in the Painter Forum are used with specific permission from the owner to be used in our Challenges and accompanied by a request to credit the owner and display their copyright notice when we post our final images derived from their art or photos.

Let's all just remember to ask and set a good example for those who are unaware of copyright issues.

Thanks everyone, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Ross,

Yes, very easy. I did something like that just the other day, using the Zoom Blur effect:

Effects menu/Focus/Zoom Blur

I'll post an example in a few minutes..

be right back.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Jinny - you make a good point about asking first. I will make an effort to always remember in the future.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

Ross,

Thanks for taking my comments to graciously. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

How many of you noticed that I made comments about IDD and Challenges?

I've spent the last hour and a half looking for my post over at In Depth Discussions! Oddly enough, it wasn't there! Finally, I gave up and came over here to read messages and much to my surprise, here it was!

I read it over and saw clearly that I wrote it (here) while thinking I was at IDD! What's to become of me if where I am isn't where I am? *LOL*
    To explain, at In Depth Discussions, in a few of the forums including the Painter Forum, there have been some pretty long threads on the issue of copyright infringement. One of the artists discovered that someone had taken her painting (a beautiful thing that was done partly in Bryce and post rendered in Photoshop, I believe). It was created over a period long enough that she saved the files in stages of development, fortunately, and others were aware that it was her creation as they'd seen it, maybe even during its development.

The person who took the image, did some minor manipulations (filters, maybe?) then posted it on her site with her name and copyright placed over it. When confronted, she made up such a story that were left shaking our heads in disbelief, reading about it.

The actual creator of the painting had asked her friends at IDD to take a look at the manipulated image and see if they thought it looked like hers. Everyone agreed that it definitely was hers! One of her friends blew up the thumbnail and superimposed it over the original and turned it into an animation, then displayed it so we could all see that each element in the manipulated version matched perfectly to the original, trees, branches, etc.

The woman, while still denying adamantly, took down her site. Someone who has known her for a while said she'd no doubt surface elsewhere with a new site and continue to display images taken from other artists.. and claim them as her own.

Depending on how dear a piece is to the artist, and what potential that image may have to earn money, win a contest, or whatever value, it may mean a whole lot and have some pretty devastating consequences if it's stolen, claimed by another person, distributed, or even sold.

It's my personal and heart felt opinion that we all need to honor another person's right to determine what is done with their work. Who knows? It may some day be any one of us in the uncomfortable position the artist at IDD found herself. If we help to educate those who are not aware, it may help to protect us all.

Now! Am I here, or there? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi,

Well.. I'm back, if not "right back".

.... with the promised example of how Painter can do that zoom thing. Here's how I did it:

1. Cut a piece out of an old experiment saved from long ago.

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...layer1-opt.jpg

2. Selected it, duplicated it, and horizontally flipped the duplicate.

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...layer2-opt.jpg

3. Selected the Canvas and lifted it to a Floater (I happened to have Painter 5 open).

4. Applied Composite Method Multiply to both Floaters.

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...ropped-opt.jpg

5. Grouped, then Dropped the Floaters to the Canvas.

7. Applied Effects/Surface Control/Quick Warp, using Valley with the Angle Factor slider moved to 1.0

That's all, folks!

Here's the result, right side up....

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...warp-1-opt.jpg

.... and upside down....

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...warp-2-opt.jpg

(hope I got all the images in the right order)

Jinny Brown
    IP

hehehe

Jinny, to quote my favorite poet, T.S. Eliot,

And Where You Are
    Is Where You Are Not

That looks so fantastic! Thank you for explaining how you did that. And thank you for explaining about derived works and getting permission.

Athena
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Inkings!

Hello. I don't recall if I welcomed you to the forum, so Welcome. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ok now for the tricky mechanics of adding an attachment.

I notice that your links have .html added to the end. That, if i recall correctly, is because the little dialogue that comes up defaults to a .html extension when you try to upload an image.

Again here my advice is relying on my sometimes faulty memory. BUT, I think there is a little down arrow to the right of the .html extension.

If you go to that arrow and click on it, you should be able to select a .jpg or .gif extension for the file you are attaching.

I will have to go back and try attaching an image to a post, to see what really happens. But in the meantime, maybe this little note will get you going in the right direction.

Good Luck,

Athena

Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Inkings, I forgot to mention, how beautiful that brilliant flash of color is.

A fistful of scarves was not what I first saw although that is a very pretty desciption. I saw us speeding down a colorful hallway with an otherworldly green ceiling and floor, and that brilliant portal of color to some other fantastic dimension [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

The colors are great.

Thank you for posting that.

Athena
    Athena
    IP