Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I think most people are windows users here, but I will give this a shot. I use both win and mac, but Painter 6 is on my mac.

Does anyone know what the official word is about OS X. I know my tablet will not work until the beta driver gets released in June (and I gotta have my tablet in Painter)

And what about natively running in OS X. It sounds like a great OS but I cant live without my tablet, Photoshop and Painter.

Beth
    IP

I think most people are windows users here, but I will give this a shot. I use both win and mac, but Painter 6 is on my mac.

Does anyone know what the official word is about OS X. I know my tablet will not work until the beta driver gets released in June (and I gotta have my tablet in Painter)

And what about natively running in OS X. It sounds like a great OS but I cant live without my tablet, Photoshop and Painter.

Beth
    IP

i gotta mac!

yeah, from what i've read painter 7 will be a carbonized version.

... and welcome to the painter forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ..... so you're from the photoshop forum, eh ?!

stecyk66

h

[This message was edited by stecyk66 on March 29, 2001 at 07:51 PM.]
    IP

Interesting, from what I can understand from the Wacom site, it is not possible to run Painter in classic space and use the current OS9 tablet driver. It looks like the Wacom OSX tablet driver will be able to handle this, but not until June at the earliest.

Looks to me like the choices are;
    1.Keep your system as it is.
    2.Upgrade to Mac OSX now and use Painter 6 in classic space with no tablet functionality.
    3. Upgrade to OSX and the Wacom OSX driver after June, and run Painter 6 in the classic mode.
    4. Upgrade to OSX and the Wacom OSX driver and Painter 7 later in the year.

Too many choices [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

David
    IP

Thanks for the welcome Stecky. I am not very good at Painter (yet). I find it very complex. But with v6 I am understanding it a bit more. Probably due to the more Photoshoppy way of doing things. Cool software...but a very steep learning curve.

Unfortunately, I think I will wait awhile to get OSX. There are alot of issues regarding photoshop, GoLive and most all hardware devices now. I spent a little time last night perusing the apple forums and there are quite a few problems with internet connectivity and some printing issues too. (although I think most of them stem from improperly set IP address...so I think there are fixes). But not having a pressure sensitive tablet in Painter...fa get about it. Photoshop I can handle without the pressure sensitvity part. But more and more, I am using it in drawing aps too. The brushes are pretty cool in Illustrator.

So... #3 sounds like the best option for me. Give them a chance to work out the other hardware issues (scanner, SCSI, firewire etc)

I found something about Corels product line on Apples site.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Between May and September 2001, Corel Corporation will revamp its entire line of Mac creative applications, releasing fully Carbonized versions of plug-in effects package KPT, 3D landscape creator Bryce, and natural-media app Painter (all acquired from MetaCreations in 2000), as well as stand-alone masking application KnockOut ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, I found no such info on Corels site. Good to hear though
    IP

Welcome to this version of the Painter Forum!

I fondly remember reading your posts in my former days as a lurker in an older version of this forum. (even as far back as Corelnet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) I remember you were in a climate that had an altitude higher than sea-level but I never comprehended that you were all the way up in Canada [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm noticing a Canadian Mac Painter user pattern here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I have to agree with you about Painter's earlier iterations being a bit unwieldy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but luckily they came out with version 6.

Stecyk66 is our resident Mac expert [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hehehe so the next version of Painter for the Mac will be carbonized? cool!

Stecyk,

RE: OS X
    What's up with this mention of Unix(or Linux. . . I give up) and Mac in the same breath in Mac Land? Don't tell me I can run a Mac OS on a non Mac processor now. . . . (can I?) Sounds un-Jobsian to me.

PS: do any of y'all have that windows emulation program? (I forget its name) but how do you like it if you do?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Athena

(Have to go find my stuff for my next quasi tutorial. . . wish me luck. . . I think I know where I put it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

...a business doctrine purporting that success is derived from clever optimism, flaky CEOs and fruit flavoured product lines.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

yeah, athena, os x is unix, or bsd. and there is speculation that apple has an x86 development team working something out also. it's interesting if true. i have a friend who is a software programmer specializing in sound/audio applications. he bought a g4 last year when he found out that the new mac os was going to be unix based. he's completely sold on it and is now developing for it. the technical details are way over my head [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

virtual PC is the big windows emulator for mac. i've got it on both my g4 and iMac. it is slow but i only use it for internet and windows based e-mails anyway.

hehe, i saw that beth is from the great white north too eh!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    well gotta go. the hockey game is startin' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

stecyk#66
    IP

by Linus Thorvalds about OSX on www.zdnet.com. I sincerely hope for all my Mac friends that he is too critical ...
    IP

erik

read that yesterday. the argument is mostly about mach. osx is a complicated mix of code. only time will tell if it all works. the irony is that x is actually a semi linux open source os which may stiffle linux expansion as a competetive os. this may explain the purchase price that apple is charging for it. $150 is pretty cheap for an operating system that's technically superior to NT.

stecyk‰
    IP