Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: X3D File size

X3D files that come with Xara 3D 5 are small and when I open one of them , then save it with A new name and have made no changes, the new file is about 3 times larger than the orginal. How can I create smaller X3D files? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    n7ujg@qwest.net

[This message was edited by N7UJG on August 23, 2002 at 06:52.]

X3D files that come with Xara 3D 5 are small and when I open one of them , then save it with A new name and have made no changes, the new file is about 3 times larger than the orginal. How can I create smaller X3D files? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    n7ujg@qwest.net

[This message was edited by N7UJG on August 23, 2002 at 06:52.]

Count your blessings, N7UJG, when I tried that, the file sizes are 10 or 11 times greater. There is an option mentioned in the Advanced Help to make a Registry tweak for Compact Save, not to save textures with a saved .x3d file. The default is "0" = save textures, "1" = don't save textures. Playing with this has made no difference, as far as I can tell, and in any case shouldn't matter if the .x3d object doesn't use any textures.
    Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this?
    Mike

Michael J. Sims

This could be down to window size. Try making the window smaller before you save.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

If you look at the original X3D file using notepad, you will see only the text tags for the X3D file. The file you saved from Xara3D5 will contain all the same tags, but will also include a thumbnail image; therefore it will naturally be larger than the original example file without the thumbnail. I haven't checked the help file to see if there is a way to turn off the thumbnail. I like the thumbnails as I can see what the x3d file is when I click on it in windows explorer (as long as you are using view as webpage) the thumnail is shown in the explorer window.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

As mentioned by Soquili, I opened an X3D file with NotePad and noticed lots interesting things. I found that I have X3D files created with Xara 3D version 3.01. Then looking at an X3D file made in version 5.0, it will contain alot more information which will probably explain the larger file size. NOTE; Xara 3D 4.0c can't read X3D files made with version 5.0. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] n7ujg@qwest.net

You can reduce the file size of Xara 3D, version 5 by saving in compact format.n7ujg@qwest.net