Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Painter 9.1

I'm using the Artists Oils (not the oil paint) and I am led to believe that there are six special brush profiles which I can use for Artists Oils. These are the bottom six profiles in the brush palette. However selecting different profiles seems to have no effect at all either in the painting or on the brush preview in the size palette.

Am I missing something here or is this yet another corel bug.
    IP

The difference is very subtle and seen mostly, if not entirely, at the beginning of the brushstroke.

Record a short vertical stroke, then Playback that stroke using black and with each of the Artist's Oils brush dab profiles and you'll see the slight differences.

The Size palette Preview doesn't change as the dab is flat (or flat oval) for all Profiles/all Artist's Oils variants.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Thanks Jinny,

It is subtle isn't it. I can only see a difference at the endpoints there is no logical effect on the actual stroke though. What I mean by that is that the strokes are different but the difference does not seem to be related to the profile.

While I'm here I was checking out the stroke options and I cannot work out a couple of things. Firstly, after saving a stroke, how do you delete it from the menu. Aslo how does the option at the bottom work, 'use stroke data' I can't see a difference whether it is on or off.

On a totally unrelated matter, I took your advice last time and wrote to Rick Champagne about the colour management problem, and I can assure you I have only received real pain.

The problem was nutted out to the fact that painter keeps defaulting to 'Colour Management Off' when you open a new document. Going into the colour management dialogue box and leaving it without doing anything turns colour management back on.

This can also be accomplished using the CM on/off toggle above the impasto toggle on the scroll bar. Rick decided that this indeed should not happen. How would you go if you had to turn colour management on every time you used Photoshop?

Anyway now that 9.1 has been released I find that this obvious bug has not been fixed. I remember that when Painter 7 was released they crowed about their magnificent colour management options. So why is it that after two upgrades and a patch that colour management switches off an you have to remember to turn it on all the time.

There is also the strange problem of the brush defaulting to the eraser at random moments. I have the eraser disabled in the Wacom prefs for Painter but that will not disable the eraser. If you have an intuos 3 could you check to see if you are able to disable the eraser and let me know what happens? I don't know if the brush defaulting to the eraser and not being able to disable the eraser are related or separate problems

I've written a few times to Rick but all I get is a stoney silence.

regards T

http://www.om-atha.com/stroke.jpg
    IP

Originally posted by Thelonious:

While I'm here I was checking out the stroke options and I cannot work out a couple of things. Firstly, after saving a stroke, how do you delete it from the menu.
    I don't know a way to delete a saved stroke, other than resetting Painter IX to it's installed state. Then even if you backed up your Painter IX User folder in order to restore your custom preferences/settings and other custom folders and files, you'd be likely to lose other things in whatever file holds the saved strokes information. I'm thinking it might be the Painter.SET file but can't say that for sure.

Aslo how does the option at the bottom work, 'use stroke data' I can't see a difference whether it is on or off.
    Read the following:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Painting

On the right panel, click the link named "Exploring Painting".

On the next page, scroll down to the section named "Recording and Playing Back Strokes" and its sub section named "To Use Stroke Data".

On a totally unrelated matter, I took your advice last time and wrote to Rick Champagne about the colour management problem, and I can assure you I have only received real pain.

The problem was nutted out to the fact that painter keeps defaulting to 'Colour Management Off' when you open a new document. Going into the colour management dialogue box and leaving it without doing anything turns colour management back on.

This can also be accomplished using the CM on/off toggle above the impasto toggle on the scroll bar. Rick decided that this indeed should not happen. How would you go if you had to turn colour management on every time you used Photoshop?

Anyway now that 9.1 has been released I find that this obvious bug has not been fixed. I remember that when Painter 7 was released they crowed about their magnificent colour management options. So why is it that after two upgrades and a patch that colour management switches off an you have to remember to turn it on all the time.
    I can't be of any help when it comes to color management in Painter or anywhere else. It's something I've decided to avoid until it becomes simpler to handle and more reliable. I just don't have time to go through all that anguish. Sorry. I wish I could provide a nice easy answer but frankly, I don't think anyone can. Color management is a complicated issue even outside of Painter and the debates are exhausting enough just to read, let alone it being possible to sort out any worthwhile information.

There is also the strange problem of the brush defaulting to the eraser at random moments. I have the eraser disabled in the Wacom prefs for Painter but that will not disable the eraser. If you have an intuos 3 could you check to see if you are able to disable the eraser and let me know what happens? I don't know if the brush defaulting to the eraser and not being able to disable the eraser are related or separate problems
    I don't own an Intuos 3 tablet so not much help there either. Have you called Wacom tech support to see if they can help you sort it out? They're really nice and don't charge for tech support.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP