Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gel Part Two...

Beth: I'm all for being "sanctimonious" - and I LOVE it when you people critize me for it: it means I'm taking a firm, non-wishy-washy stand.

And one thing about art: there is MUCH that is right or wrong in the field - like there is in any other field. Art is NOT a special sanctuary for the half-crazed, semi-blind and willfully ignorant, where "anything goes".

But I guess there's no point in lecturing you on that.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

theKeeper: your example is just more gist for my mill that 3D apps produce cold, inartistic images.

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

IP

Beth, I love it when I am charged with "pigeonholing," too. That banal term really means to group, classify, conceptualize - i.e., THINK.

K
    K

IP

Thanks Beth, I would have to agree that the flower is one of the most impressive peices of 3d art that I've seen in a long time. BUT I guess I really should have made it clear that I was posting examples of 3d art made by various professional artists for arguments sake, so unfortunately, I can't take credit for it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Clive Biley was the artist who created the 3d lily. Only *ONE* of those images was of my own (the ten-sided di), the rest were created by other artists who posted them in the LightWave 3D Gallery at www.newtek.com. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit the page and put a note at the top to make it absolutely clear that they are not my own personal work (except that ten sided di).

I will, however, be posting my own work in the 3D Graphics forum in the near future. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, again, sorry for the confusion.

[This message was edited by Earl Wilson IV on March 30, 2001 at 08:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Earl Wilson IV on March 30, 2001 at 09:19 PM.]
    IP

Hahaha, Klaaaaus, you kill me...
    You keep things interesting though! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But... you obviously misread & misinterpreted my post Klaus. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The 3D image *i* posted was simply to show an example of what the effect would look like with little or NO user input - as i stated!

And with more user input - i.e. artistic manipulation a quite realistic effect could be achieved; quite easily.

I did NOT say that the image i was posting was "my attempt at legitimizing the graphic superiority of 3D apps over Raster &/or Vector apps". In fact, i did say that each type of graphics app CG artists have at their disposal are ALL useful, productive and original in their own way.

PS: i'd LOVE to see what your "Vector" version of Jurassic Park would look like! hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

So, please try to read the posts a bit more indepth, to avoid any confusion or misinterpretations.

PPS: Gary P... i can't believe that someone of your stature/abilities could make the statement you did, concerning Klaus's artwork. I've always thought of you as being a little more "heavy" into the biz than that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (and that is NOT a dig at your professionalism either Gary, you have my respect - so don't go jumping on that Klaus!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by theKeeper on March 30, 2001 at 09:14 PM.]
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Beth: I'm all for being "sanctimonious" - and I LOVE it when you people critize me for it: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well just as long as we understand each other [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

I wish I had the capacity to argue art and philosophy right now. Its late and Ive had a few beers. So all I have to say is "whatever". We all have different tastes....But the sanctimonious thingy is something that does get my goat up. So I will call you up on it. And regarding the right wrong thing...sure there is right and wrong...but about art. Well, I think there are more important things when it comes down to real life. Like...dont kill people...its wrong. In these cases there is black and white.
    I personally believe in grey. Grey is wonderful. And for Art...well, grey is good there too. Right wrong, its all a matter of taste (said the starkist tuna)

Earl: I see...said the blind man.

That lily is indeed amazing, There is a slight problem of sex organs there, but you would only know that if you were a botany geek.

I want to post some other artwork by a 3D artist . I saw it on the Metacreations site. It was kind of a fantasy image...but I am a succer for gnomish/fairyish stuff. (man I just noticed that spelling mistake....ROTFL

ANyway the post is

(and maybe the 3D stuff should go into the brand new 3D forum (welcome Gary))
    IP

from the metacreations site (that may or may not be there since the takeover)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	queen.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	13380  
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Beth, I love it when I am charged with "pigeonholing," too. That banal term really means to group, classify, conceptualize - i.e., THINK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To most people, it has implications of forced classification, which surely doesn't square with real thought. It's not something I'd want to brag about!

Definitions:

<ul>[*]'to classify methodically, or too rigidly'
    (The Chambers Dictionary, Edinburgh, 1998, 1239)[*]'to classify or categorize, esp. in a rigid manner'
    (Collins Softback English Dictionary, Glasgow, 1991, 1135)[/list]

For what it's worth (as a professional musician and a teacher), I try very, very hard not to pigeonhole things. Kids do it all the time, so I have to encourage them to discover a broader picture by thinking things through. Thinking about, and recognising or repudiating, something's artistic worth is not the same as trying to squeeze it into boxes it doesn't always fit.

As for this 'thread', it's come perilously close to being sucked into a black hole. Strong opinions and good healthy discussion are one thing, but some of the more personal comments and generic value judgements have been way OTT! And no, I'm not naming names, but I thought these were supposed to be the friendly forums? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    IP

I think this topic has pretty much run its course and as one of the moderators of this conference, I am now closing the topic.

I think there is a clear division between 2D and 3D applications and as this conference deals with Xara, a 2D application, I'd like to keep focussed in that direction.

As I have said in the Gel 3 thread, the gel replication project has generated a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and positive energy. Let's try to keep on that path, eh?

I oficially call it a draw! (Moderators can do that) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP