Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Cart

Hi Again,

A new posting for comments and critique.

Thanks!

Wayne D

Arizona

This is from a digital picture. While visiting Jerome, AZ near colorful Sedona - Red Rock Country. The cart sits abandoned after much use. The sign nearby says that this area mined enough copper for every person in the world to be given 13 lbs of copper. How many pennies would that be? Hummmm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JEROME1_Final_-_08.17.01-small.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	19792  
    IP

Hi Again,

A new posting for comments and critique.

Thanks!

Wayne D

Arizona

This is from a digital picture. While visiting Jerome, AZ near colorful Sedona - Red Rock Country. The cart sits abandoned after much use. The sign nearby says that this area mined enough copper for every person in the world to be given 13 lbs of copper. How many pennies would that be? Hummmm!
    IP

I'll come back later after I've taken some time to analyze the specifics.

Thanks for posting.

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Oooo, I like this alot Wayne. It has such nice details almost like a photo. Great looking painting...
    IP

Wayne you do great work, and your past 2 posts are informative and fun also.
    I know how many pennies but I can't draw and am jealous so I'm not telling.
    When you say from a digital pic do you mean you drew it referencing it from the photo, or that you cloned the photo and painted over it.
    IP

Hi Freebird,

I used the photo to outline and layout the initial sketch, adding and omitting details as I went along. Then I used the photo for color reference since I don't know a sienna from a pthelo blue or an alizarion whatcha ma call it.
    Then I just have fun and improvise since my goal is NOT to duplicate the photo.

I'm learning alot just diving in and trying something -- with my left hand on Ctrl - Z when I goof. Painter is very forgiving....
    Try that on 300lb paper.

Wayne D
    IP

If you look at the bottom right hand side of the first picture above, you'll see the ladle that was used to contain the molten copper during the smelting operation. I thought it made a better opportunity to use a variety of Painter watercolor tools. And explore COLORS - WOW!

Thanks for your generous comments.

Wayne D

Arizona

[This message was edited by Wayne D on August 17, 2001 at 22:33.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crucible_Ladle_Sketch-Final-Smaller.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	20068  
    IP

wow!
    ok [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Wayne,

here is what I've been thinking about for the last two weeks.

Overall,

I like the image. I like the colours. and I really like the perspective on the side of the cart. and I like the thing in the bottom right hand corner (I also really like the close up you posted later).

BUT

and . . . I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. I'm just wondering what you think. . . the object that protudes underneath the numeral 200. .. is there a way to contour it better with colour, texture, or shading to finish making it look like its protruding? Or am I getting fooled by the old cube exterior/ box interior visual illusion . . . does anybody know what I'm talking about? that visual illusion with cubes ... to me that protruding part doesn't look like it is quite protruding. . . and since it is in the center of the image . . i can't help but notice. Of course the angle that we are viewing this at may be betraying that part of the image. Maybe it is just the left hand side of that protruding thing that looks incomplete . . .

I'd be one of the first to admit I don't have a clue. . . so if I'm wrong, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] just tell me.

and the next thing. . .

the foliage. . .the abundance of foliage .. something about the vividness of the foliage behind the main plant . . . it is distracting me. I was imagining that the lonely plant in the front of the cart is the focus of the image. and the foliage behind it seems just a bit too detailed or too vivid ... it's drawing my focus from the lonely plant. Would dulling the color of the background foliage make any kind of a change you'd like? Umm again, here I could be very wrong. . . and it is ultimately your vision so feel free to ignore me.

I still like it alot. There is something very pleasant about the way you did this. Nice work!!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena

and I'm wondering what the people who paint regularly do. . . do you like to draw a monochromatic pencil sketch first? Because somehow it almost seems easier to use just one color to do your shading and everything. . . having to select from so many colors when doing color images somehow it seems to take more concentration. . . more variables where things can go wrong.

Just like in cartooning where the strength of the image should be there in black and white before you get to inking it or even adding color. Of course, inking (I'll define it as the combinations of thick and thin strokes of the black india ink that you use to outline the image you initially sketched in pencil) can be an artform all its own before you even add color . . .

Ok I'll let you be now.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

take care,

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

maybe its the front of the protruding thing. . .the one immediately under the numeral 200.

umm nevermind . . i guess the light was very bright. I really can't see how it could be fixed. that's a tough light source angle to work with. . .for this particular subject made of bright copper.

Athena
    Athena
    IP

Thank you for your helpful comments.

The thing under the "200" is a large flake of rust. I was faithful to the detail but not clear in the completed work.

Yes - I also think the colors conflict. I'm using several different trains of thought and technique and am getting too much into the work. But I'm learning those brush settings, -- well some of them.

I'm off tomorrow (9/1) to a place near home called Skull Valley. So will have some new subjects to render in monochrome for a change. I agree with the "values" needing to be there first. This one got away from me, and I couldn't stop. It felt good to see things materailize with the Wacom cookin!

Thanks Again,
    Wayne D
    Arizona
    IP