Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

When setting up an ad using a grayscale image and text in colour (CMYK)in CorelXara 1.5 & XaraX, I experienced the following problem.
    When I printed out the separations for the ad to my Epson printer, all colour separations printed out, the image included (ie. CMYK intead of grayscale/black) How can this happen??
    plarkin@global.co.za[/EMAIL]
    IP

When setting up an ad using a grayscale image and text in colour (CMYK)in CorelXara 1.5 & XaraX, I experienced the following problem.
    When I printed out the separations for the ad to my Epson printer, all colour separations printed out, the image included (ie. CMYK intead of grayscale/black) How can this happen??
    plarkin@global.co.za[/EMAIL]
    IP

All bitmaps in CorelXARA are treated as RGB. Result is that they always separate as color even if the original bitmap was grayscale.
    IP

Pete

If I understand correctly, you have a greyscale bitmap with some coloured text and, when you print separations, you expect the bitmap to be entirely on the black sep. Seems logical but ...

When printing seps or exporting EPS, Xara converts the entire drawing to 24-bit colour first, hence greyscale bitmaps become RGB. Xara then applies its own, apparently fixed, separation algorithm to create the four plates and your bitmap now appears on all of them.

To create the effect you're expecting, export your entire drawing as a bitmap, then separate it in a bitmap app. using a 'maximum black' GCR (grey component removal) algorithm.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP