Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Folks ...

Well, I've finally got some spare time and a need to learn Flash. I've gone through all the tutorials, poured over the samples and am now doing my own project.

What I'm trying to do :

A slideshow that requires a click to start > plays an animation (mimics a real slide) > stops > waits for the next click.

I can't seem to figure out where I should attach the stop action to: a frame or an object? It seems to me that it would make more sense to put it in a frame but when I do, the thing never starts up again. (I converted the "slide" image to a button to get the onMouseover event.)

argh!! I'm so frustrated.
    My current mantra: Learning something new IS good for me. Learning something new IS good for me.

Help!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Hi Folks ...

Well, I've finally got some spare time and a need to learn Flash. I've gone through all the tutorials, poured over the samples and am now doing my own project.

What I'm trying to do :

A slideshow that requires a click to start > plays an animation (mimics a real slide) > stops > waits for the next click.

I can't seem to figure out where I should attach the stop action to: a frame or an object? It seems to me that it would make more sense to put it in a frame but when I do, the thing never starts up again. (I converted the "slide" image to a button to get the onMouseover event.)

argh!! I'm so frustrated.
    My current mantra: Learning something new IS good for me. Learning something new IS good for me.

Help!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I too am a newbie on this program as well, but i would like to know do you want the scene to stop after you click on something? if so then my advice is to use three different objects a play button a back button and a pause button then attach the action script to this, make sure however that your play,stop,and pause buttons are somehow on all scenes. I hope this works for you

Ray
    IP

Hi Ray...

No, I want it to start when the image is clicked > move to the next image and stop - no buttons.

Thanks for the reply though!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

An invisible button should do the job.
    I’ll explain the idea then you can tailor it to your need.

If you are thinking of a leanier slide show, it can easily be made.
    A non-leanier slide show would take more coding.

Anyhow.
    On the main time line : create three layers

Actions
    Button

On the image layer, go ahead and put the images that you want to show on after the other. each on its own frame.

On the first frame, on the actions layer : put a stop(); action

Now go to Insert symbol > create a button. That button should not contain any key Frames except on it’s hit state. This is called an invisible button.

Drag and instant of that invisible button to the button layer (which should be higher than the images layer)
    You should see a green transparent rectangle on the stage. Attach an action to that button:

on(release) { nextFrame ();} after attaching the action go ahead and copy the button and over lay it over all the images.

You might need a different actions attached to the last image. That sends you back to the beging or something.

Make sure that you have an stop(); action on every frame that has an image so the time line stop at each image.

This might have been long. I hope it helps =)
    Qutaibah
    IP

Absolutely perfect, thank you so much!

I had actually thought of making one large button (using each image) but didn't, of course, realize that an "invisible" button was even possible.

I'm all psyched now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP