Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:
    This front is REAL 3D and tells the customer more about 3D in a glimpse than the 'wanna-be-Macromedia-look-alike'.

I could imagine the people grabbing the box because this is what they want.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And I could imagine them being disappointed when they discover that Xara 3D (fantastic app that it is!) can't do what you've shown on the box...

It's good, Jens, but it's not the right box for Xara 3D!

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

I agree with Pete - Jens' box is dishonest advertising!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Klaus,

many packages display stuff you can't achieve with the content. Do you call MS ads dishonest advertising? If not, why not? At least **I** can't manage to run a medium sized company with MS Excel...

So much for the misleading ads.

Besides this when the customers turn the box they see what can be done. The front side should act as an appetizer, but Holy Lord NOT for Macromedia!

I can show you many boxes with great stuff on the front page... but as I said: I'm glad that I don't have to market the product. And let's send our congrats to XARA for being a newly acquired daughter of Macromedia - cheers!

BTW Pete: you can't even reproduce the Xara 3D logo with Xara 3D. It's a misleading promise or advertising as well.

And always remember: if you can't attrackt your customer's attention in a fraction of a second at the shelves you've lost the race. All 'mee-too' products suffer from this approach. Ask the marketing gurus if you don't trust my words, I don't mind at all.

So - welcome XARA to new uniformity look in this century ;-}

Let's ring the wedding bells for Macromedia and Xara.

Oh, I've developed these minimalistic approaches only because Gary submitted his wise saying to make the customer curious. For no other reason.

You guys still got a long way to learn a lot about consumer behavior.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

that I am looking at one of those moody gaming boxes instead of illustration software.

How about a ligthter shade of say, medium gray, with the word Xara3D done in, well, **3D** simple elegance (complete with shadow effect [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]), eye catching and self explainitory (kinda)! Still think there should be a blurb under it in smaller type.

But....bottom line is that I think the in-house designs are what they are going to use anyway........so...........just wait and see!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

cool design, jens, for the 3D package as well! The concept comes through clearly, and it's another I would pick up and check out the rest of the info on. I'm not a designer, but I sure am a consumer of software! I often find myself browsing the shelves just to see what's new, even if I didn't plan on purchasing to begin with---like a kid in a candy store---I will notice the outstanding pkg designs---something that grabs the attention and says, "look at me!" Those I will investigate just for fun...and if I find the software offers something better than the competitors', then a sale is possible---but first you have to get the consumers attention in what is now a sea of bland white on white or just monochrome stuff with a few lines here and there---maybe everyone loves the look, but to me it's not original, and it's just boring as hell. If a company wants to stand out and attract new customers, not just the old ones, then its first opportunity on the shelf to do it is with the pkg design. I'd love to see what jens would come up with under no constrictions about "minimalism"---another person I think could design a pkg that would grab the consumer, and knock their socks off, would be Ross. Xara is great software but the box design team fails to get the message across that this software is "different" from all the rest and worth laying down the money for...
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on July 13, 2002 at 10:24.]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

...is going be very exciting!

If I may add my two-cents..

The over all designs are nice. They are very
    "pretty". I think:
    1) Heavy outside influence..."walking under
    umbrella of big brother" I truly believe
    Xara stands on it's own two feet ...at the
    top of ANY vector program out there. The
    outside influence is too obvious.
    2) Xara's logo type...Xara X doesn't go with
    that overall design. The design is very
    sophisticate; that reflects even a Photoshop
    manipulation of forms etc., whereas the Xara
    logo reflects a more Vector feeling. The X is
    a drawn X, if not mistaken. It has a
    "playfull" feeling.
    3)Taking into concern the "target" cited by
    Xara,Ltd..FAMILY, I believe the design on
    the box should 'SAY' to those family members
    ...."HERE IS THE ONE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR"..
    no questions in mind..hum.."is this like
    Flash or other similar one. On the new box
    shown...there is a line of text at top
    very small saying This is an Illustration,
    etc. Somehow I don't feel that that has
    the PUNCH needed.
    We who have worked with Xara X know 'what's
    inside"..the families don't. And there
    should be NO DOUBT in their minds of
    what's in it...THE BEST IN VECTOR!!

I'm posting what I think should be the FOCUS of
    the design: using pieces of Vector art that would
    reveal the Power of Xara.(Not a clip-art type thing.) If we remember the v.1.5 box. When I took it in my hands I FELT SURE OR IT BEING A VECTOR
    program!!! It had some their VERY OWN work reflected therein. Of course the Corel Xara bit
    didn't work too well. But it had it's well deserved merits.

Thanks all..just thinking..
    Bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

BTW- I don't think putting their Home Site on the
    front does any good...would it not direct them to Xara's page...maybe they'd put the box down and say ..."Hey kids let's look for it on the Web" ???

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 13, 2002 at 12:06.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA_BOX1.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	17745  

Jens: "many packages display stuff you can't achieve with the content."

That many people lie, cheat and steal does not make it ***right*** - THAT is the point here. Your XX package design violates this important principle, and whether or not MS does so is irrelevant (and your analogy is poor anyway).

Yes, I am blissfully ignorant of "consumer behavior" and do not intend to ever learn anything about it - especially if it, in true pragmatic Joe College fashion, seeks to legitimize dishonesty in business.

Of course, all our thoughts and designs for the Xara packaging is now quite futile, as they - according to Gary - have already settled on a design. But yes, it's a Macromedia wannabe look!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Jens

If Xara 3D were not a really cool little application, I would agree that a fantastic image might be necessary to sell the product.

But I recall seeing some pretty incredible images that were created with Xara 3D that would be both honest and attention grabbing.

And as for what Microsoft does...

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

do not "already know" anything about what these products do---hence the need for good advertising on the store shelves if they plan to compete there. Returning users don't need any advertising to convince them about the product, so it wouldn't matter too much how ugly the design on the box was. Isn't the idea to entice new users?

How does looking like another company's product help? Especially those which often are very very pricey? Does everyone drop into the stores thinking to themselves, "well, where's all the apps in the $600 range and up???" Or maybe do they look around hoping to find a "gem" amongst the reasonably priced apps??? Something new to try, something different?

If I didn't already know about Xara none of those box designs would help me---I'd be looking for some examples of the art that could be done with it, and if this was lacking I'd pass it by.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Hey Maya!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---