Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Hey hey... Bill, Maya... my humble apologies... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

May your paint brushes be singing forever the happy notes of creating... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

...for what?

I don't feel that is necessary at all. No one,
    I can be sure has been offended. I CERTAINLY
    HAVE NOT.

Within the realms of producing something..a book..
    ..a movie..a painting...a design...and any
    kind of philosphical thought, one comes under the
    'eye of scutitny'. One has be ready to recieve all
    kinds of critique..it's a very much a part of it
    all.

As professianal workers of our domains, let them
    be whatever, we have to be able to ...throw
    our marbles in the circle and try to come out a
    winner. But, at times someone may take the whole
    pot...can we accept that?

So in the process of producing good, attractive,
    practical and funtional design we have to have a
    complete OPEN MIND. Nothing should be taken/given as offensive or derogatory. One can be restassured
    the Xara,Ltd. company/artists well knew they were
    throwing their 'marbles in the circle'. When Gary
    first mentioned that Kate had given a 'geen light'
    in letting us all SEE the new designs, I personally had a very pleasant feeling that something VERY interssting was in the fore.

I was an art teacher in all levels of schooling. I
    could percieve that those who had the responsability of writing/printing the Art Manuals
    to be used as guides for the classes was a grave
    responsability. One thing they invariably did not do was to take into consideration was the VAST experience of us teachers in the 'field'. When we had meetings, the art teachers seemed to be "On it"as to needs etc.for the students, yet the dept.heads always seemed to look at us and be saying...'what are you talking about, we don't understand'.

I used to be a tech illustrator for IBM. (Data Processing, electric typewriter manuals etc.)..one
    thing very commendable was the fact they would have their ..."sit-down-shoot-out brain storming'
    sessions. This was very productive!

So, Gidgit..no needs for apology at all..very kind
    of you to feel so, but I don't think ANY of those
    who have contributed were/are offended. I certainly have learned "MUCHO". Muchas Gracias.

...have a kool one all..
    Bill

..thing, please.

I've had this experience with several clients
    and that is; if not careful there is a human
    tendency to 'reflect ones own personal taste'
    or even the surrounding life styles that one
    is brought up in.

I couldn't help seeing this in Jens design
    Here we have a very sharp artist/designer. Looking
    at his work (furniture designs etc.)I readily see
    the ''euro feeling..danish/swedish/germanic etc."
    in his work. It's slick,neat,stylized. When I saw
    his suggested designs for Xara box...that's exactly what came across....a coolJens design.

Once I had to get a product back on the shelf for a client who had lost his marketing position for his product to others. It was a mixable chocolate
    drink. So, I presented them with 3 comps. One that really undersold, one that oversold and one that I felt that would sell 'really what was in the package'...I remember how one of the ceos insisted
    that it be the one 'overselling' design. It was a slick..swiss chocolate type design. It would be miss leading to the consumer. I sat back and laughed. He asked me what was up...I told him..my
    friend you are reflecting your 'own tastes'. (He
    was a very impecable dresser..very sharp..very
    stylish. It was obvious his own personal influence was behind his decision.

They did accept the 'on target' design and things
    changed for their product.

Jens...it has been a pleasure to see some of those
    beautiful designs...but as I rewind my thoughts..
    would they really reflect to the FAMILY target what Xara really is? ...hummm. I salute you, Jens.

...kool one today..
    Bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

thanks a lot for your kind words. Yes, it's true - I#m striving for a sleek or slick design - the 'Scandinavian' style. The less and simpler the better. Like in my product designs - if possible try to achieve the ideal form made of ONE piece. Or reduce the parts to the lowest possible count for fault free production. Usually my developments are targeted to specific user groups.

However, I didn't say that my suggestions here should be used by Xara. No way. It was just an idea that came into my mind when Gary wrote something of reducing it to just a few elements. I know I'm very consequent in going into one direction if there is an idea to follow, but I will never insist that my solutions are the best. All I wanted was to keep the discussion alive, to show an alternative with a very minimalistic design.

When I am in Spain - surrounded by another environment, another mentality, other color schemes etc - my designs look different. For me design depends extremely on my personal moods at the very moment an idea is born. Example: after visiting a very old cathedral I designed some pillars: vivid, rough surfaces, ancient shapes instead of slick concrete with stainless steel.

I love contrasts and contrasting materials, for example rough granite surfaces combined with polished stainless steel. On the other hand I love the Spanish style as well. But as I said - it depends on the moment what will pop into my mind.

Design is very personal. I like designs I can't come up with a lot, like others like my designs. See what I mean?

a cool one? Hey, over here it's cold, so I'll have a hot tea!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

These are great boxes , but I want to know when the new version of Xara X would be released and what new features will it have? Why should I buy it? I am not buying anything because it has a neat box!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

With regards to the CorelXara packaging I recall being interested in all the effects I could see in that image. That said, I now find that style very dated. Worse yet, it strikes me as "cheap" as it reminds me of the packaging you see for those $5 to $10 programs you see in bins at RadioShack or Walmart.

On the otherhand, I really like Jen's latest design. Seeing it in the store I would definitely pick it up. For it to make the sale I would expect to swing open the front and see a detailed 'two-page spread' presenting the software. That would be the place for the CorelXara-type cool image. If the front didn't open, aka gamebox, I'd expect the back to be packed with info. If it wasn't - I'd be putting the box back on the shelf.

I find the new Xara family boxes attractive but I too thought "Macromedia" when I saw them. Still, I'd pick them up. The quality of the info on the parts of the box we don't see is what would sell me. I'll have to watch the shelves of the software store to see how Xara's done on the rest of the box & the quality of info.

Jens - I appreciate your comments about exploring ideas without your meaning to suggest you know what's best. In meetings with clients I like to raise issues for discussion - I have one current client who always seems to think I'm making recommendations when I'm only trying to highlight different ways to view the situation.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>