Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a died-in-the-wool fan of XARA...have been since CoreXARA, bought it, used it, stayed with the product all these years.

Only one quirky little problem I have encountered, and that is that occasionally for no apparent reason the guides cannot be selected or dragged once they are in the drawing (they are "frozen" in place). You can drag out new ones OK...but you can't move them once they are out.

Has any one experienced this? I have checked and rechecked the layers gallery to make sure guides were "editable/selectable" but no help.

There must be a simple explanation. The last time it happened I had to uninstall and then reinstall the program. And get this: most recently it has happened on both my desktop and laptop at just about the same time, what are the odds!?

Any help or hints would be appreciated!

Ya got me on that one. never had it happen... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Use to happen about once every 6months with Xara has not happened with Xara X1. Since your a died in the wool user it would be pointless to say check layers to see if the guides are selected.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the input Albacore...at least I know I'm not crazy and someone else has seen it happen! (at least in X)

I was thinking maybe there was a patch to fix this but as far as I can tell, no patches have been issued by the home office for X1.

PS on good design/hair pulling: You are soooo right...tryin to keep all the hair I have left!

actually there is one that was posted back over the summer. dont know if you are running that one or not the newest build should be 1.1d here is the link if you need it xara 1.1d
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

I do not know... i am running the beta still here at home and have not had any trouble with it. Have latest X1 at work, only cause I gots me a new 'chine.

Check whether your snapping radii (Options dialog, Mouse tab) have become set to zero. If so, set them to something like Point=6pix and Line=4pix. That should fix the problem.

There's a bug somewhere in the system, probably to do with changing page units or page scale factor, that rounds those values down to 0 by mistake.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

JimMC, The easiest way to deal with it is to delete the guide layer. Create a new one & start over with the guides as needed. You've been using Xara all this time & just now sighning in to TG? Howdy BTW.

PhilM if what you say is true. I have my dup units set to 0,0. When something is duped, it can be nudged where it needs to go. This way it can nudgee back exactly where it was whenever needed. PasteXY works the same way but Ctrl+D is quicker.

One learns to work around the unmovable guidelines. Actually forgot about that issue ions ago. Some things ya just learn to accept with Xara.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

I heard somehere form this forum Xara is having problems with custom unit sets... perhaps this can be the problem ? Just a piont...

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

After playing with it a few minutes. Guidelines can be dragged away. But it's a delayed moment before your cursor changes to a drag icon while over the guideline. Once it changes you can drag the GL off the screen. Didn't check the unit options with this as it seemed to be working on my machine, sorry.

If you continue to have problems. Post your unit settings from the Xara options screen. We can go from there.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE