Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new virus?

I seem to be receiving a lot of virus-infected messages with a subject line something to the effect of IE Win XP Removal or words to this effect. I have also received some allegedly send via Miscosoft.com that offer an XP patch. These messages are about 30K in size and contain a virus.

Anyone else having trouble with these?

Between the virus-infected messages and SPAM from Korea, almost constant, I hardly get any meaningful messages any more.

Makes one wonder.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I seem to be receiving a lot of virus-infected messages with a subject line something to the effect of IE Win XP Removal or words to this effect. I have also received some allegedly send via Miscosoft.com that offer an XP patch. These messages are about 30K in size and contain a virus.

Anyone else having trouble with these?

Between the virus-infected messages and SPAM from Korea, almost constant, I hardly get any meaningful messages any more.

Makes one wonder.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I've been getting various versions of W32/Klez.h@MM virus lately atempting to attack my system but not the one you spoke of. I did see info about it though on McAfee site. (I guess you've got the latest and greatest <g>)

... and the SPAM... GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr!

Phil
    --
    Phillip

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

The worst thing is a 'nice game', where 'you are the first one to play it'. Comes with a 'play.exe' attached. It'll infest Outlook address books and start duplicating itself. Spreading very fast. Don't touch it, delete it on the server if you can.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Guys,

do not click on ANYTHING that is sent to you by mail. Not even if it comes from someone you know !!!

If you must see it, save it to your HD first. THEN have a close look at it like do a virusscan on it and THEN start it.

There's a new trick sending something with the appearance of a link, saying "Look at this site!!" or similiar with "www.something.com" attached.
    Only that .com can also be a DOS-executable with malicious code in it ...

Also remember, that Microsoft will NEVER send you a personal E-Mail with updates, fixes or the like.

ALWAYS double-check and download if anything directly from the Microsoft homepage only.

Another tip for security: Don't use Outlook if possible.

It can't be stretched enough, but most virus infections and thus spreading are only possible because of careless users !!!

Just my tuppence ...

Wolfgang

This is a bit beyond my skills but I think it should be possible.

You are receiving so many spams and viruses because your email address exists in probably hundreds of thousands of HTML pages in web caches across the world.

In javascript it might be possible to do the following, perhaps an HTML/script wiz (Maybe even someone at Xara) could come up with the following.

Instead of having a 'mail to:' link on the web page, you have a button that points to a java script routine that ROT13's (shifts all characters along the alphabet by 13 places) an already ROT13nd email address stored in the webpage prior to calling 'mail to:' (it may be possible to use a slightly more complex form of encryption, just in case spam trawlers are wise to ROT13)

Since the ROT13nd address stored in the web page will be utterly useless it won't matter if it is trawled by search engines and others. It will still be possible to email you with one click of the mouse, but this would require user intervention and somebody actually wanting to contact you, hopefully with relevant correspondance.

If it is possible, it might take several months to stem the tide as search engine web spiders gradually update their caches and users clear there temporary internet caches but eventually unwanted emails might slow down. It won't stop the spammers that already have the email address stored elsewhere but maybe if this idea fails now, it might work in the future if you change the email address and report any future offenders to Spam Cop.

As I said the idea may not be workable, it is beyond my current skills, just thought it might be worth mentioning

HTH

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

There is a mini-utility that breaks your e-mail address into two parts and reassembles it when the visitor sends e-mail. As I remember though, it uses an ugly auto-generated button that reads "Send e-mail" or words of your chosing.

And of course, short of changing my e-mail address, there is not much I can do. If I change my e-mail address then all the e-mail addresses on all those thousands of pages becomes a dead end.

It's a sorry state of affairs, I tell you.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I have a minimal net presence but I still get plenty of spam and viruses. As I read this thread I got a virus sent to me from an unknown Indian e-mail address with a genuine MS readme.txt file to make me believe the other attachment was genuine. I now always use "Block Sender" and I seem to get fewer, even though I realise you rarely get spam or viruses twice from the same address.

I've also been plagued recently by spam faxes, some of which are designed to extract money from you by asking you to reply to provocative questions. They claim to be conducting an official survey and want you to respond to questions like "Should paedophiles get longer prison sentences?". If you read the fine print, which sometimes is illegible, the return call will cost £5 or more.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Hi

Symantec has a small utility that search for and clean this virus.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...er/FixKlez.com

Øystein

http://www.heimesider.com

A few weeks ago when I visited this group I found a message with a link to http://www.mailwasher.net/

Since then I've been using this great application to prevent my system from downloading spam and infected emails.

You may want to visit the site and give it a look.

Nina V

"Love me... Love my dog