Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all
    I'm grappling with my first website and on the whole doing ok. However I planned it on a larger display area than 800x600 and am now trying to make it flexible. As most pages are based around tables I have managed this fine on those containing no or few graphics. However I am struggling where the table includes larger graphics which I would like displayed to fill the table cell and therefore adjust their size depenedent on the viewers browser.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Hi all
    I'm grappling with my first website and on the whole doing ok. However I planned it on a larger display area than 800x600 and am now trying to make it flexible. As most pages are based around tables I have managed this fine on those containing no or few graphics. However I am struggling where the table includes larger graphics which I would like displayed to fill the table cell and therefore adjust their size depenedent on the viewers browser.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

I do not know what html editor your are using but the way to go to sort your problem is to use external Cascading style sheets. If you do a help or search on your editor you will find the help you need but normally frmes will extend and contract to fit the screen resolution.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I think that what bobo is trying to do is to serve different graphic sizes for different resolutions etc. I think I have seen JavaScript to do this.

I usually poke around on Google...

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thank you Simon, that's exactly what I am trying to do - sorry if I wasn't quite as clear as I might have been. Any pointers still welcome

Hi bobo, generaly speaking there are not that many sites which offer up what you are looking for here... most simply give a thumbnail which will offer up a larger pic upon users choice to do so... this way if the user chooses they may or may not wish for a large graphic loading on thier machine. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I did a quick Google last night and didn't hit what I think bobo is looking for.

But this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/resize.html

may be it.

This was by searching for 'javascript image load sizes' (no quotes of course).

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thanks for the helpful comments regarding java. I have found a script that seems to solve the problem, but I will take a look at Simon's suggestion as well.
    I hear what is said about giving people the chance to choose to load large graphics by clicking a thumbnail, and this option is there on other pages on the site. However what I was trying to do was keep the appearance of the site as uniform as possible whatever size it was being viewed at, and therefore wanted relatively small images to be scaled to fit a table cell.
    Once again, thanks http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

that xs4all is a pretty cool script. I may get some use out of stealing that one! A lot of people who design for sites make their tables stationary size {table width="800" height="600"} etc. I usually make the greater outside table just in percent so that no matter the resolution of the monitor, the page is always 100%, or 95% etc. {table width="100%" height="100%"}. that way you don't have to resize the images, the images will stay the same size, but the table will still fill the monitor. YOu can't be as controlling if you design with % instead of pixels but I'm trying to practice being less controlling in my life, so this is a great place to start! as long as it looks good, I don't care if it is exactly the same everywhere. Another thing, there are still people out there with extremely tiny monitors (14 inches! i saw the other day at a clients house) and using IE 4.0. YOU can't plan for just everyone. I figure if it looks good at 800x600 and 1024x whatever, I'm happy. then you add in phones etc and you could go nuts. I design for the average person. those way ahead of the curve and way behind will just have to wait or move on up! keep smiling ba