Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old book

After doing John S. Clement’s tutorial, I got a real interest for isometrics and I then decided to give LIVRE ANCIEN (=old book) an isometric look instead of just rotating it. Thanks John.

As usual comments are welcome. I post pictures here so that comments help improve my art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livre_ancien.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	7888  

After doing John S. Clement’s tutorial, I got a real interest for isometrics and I then decided to give LIVRE ANCIEN (=old book) an isometric look instead of just rotating it. Thanks John.

As usual comments are welcome. I post pictures here so that comments help improve my art.

Good looking picture. IMHO you could perhaps "bend" the back of the book. At the moment I think it looks a bit to flat and sharp. Also, you could add a shadow (unless you haven't put the light straight above the book).

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Jean Guy

I like the book image very much. And I'm happy to see you applying John's Isometric article to your image.

I think you could make the covers heavier and add some curve to the spine. And maybe some very light lines to indicate the pages. What do you think?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...

Jean Guy

The overall look of the book is quite nice. I agree with observations and suggestions by the others. One thing that I observe is that the book has a nice perspective etc.but the lines of the wooden table do not. Maybe it you worked with Shape tool to give that table top a slight perspective in order to agree with the book's. (The size of the wood's grain dwarfts the book)It will probably make all of the elements work together. Also, the pages seem to be New..maybe slight blend of light ocre or brown around the edges may contribute to it's age. It has a nice format, however. Keep those nice posts coming.

regards-bill cleg

Jean Guy,

It's not always easy to get angles n' stuff right. Nice job on the book!
    ~Dave!~

Thanks all, I followed most of the suggestions + I added a linear semi-transparent grey copy of the wood and the resulting picture looks better.

I’m not satisfied with the look of the thickness of the cover though, but I don’t know any better way.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livre_ancien.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	14836  

I think your second example is a VAST improvement as it has so much more depth. I bet if you put it aside for a bit and then come back to it after reading more forum threads and playing with Xara X you will find many new things to add to your book and table top.

For more a more consistent look, try to "bend" the label on Spine.

And I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Regards, John

[This message was edited by John Clements on July 05, 2001 at 13:31.]

Great book Jean-Guy.

I have to agree about the spine. If all you saw was the spine, it would look like it had never been read. Pull out one of your favorite books and take a look at what's happened to the spine over the years and try to reproduce that.

Mickie

Bonjour Jean-Guy,

I love the colours in your drawing and the stain on the front of the book. I have one question. Is the Author's name on the spine supposed to be upside down compared to the Title?

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update