Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Guys please excuse my ignorance, i have some images from a freind on a cd they are fairly large tiffs of rather large dimensions, my problem is this i want to be able to save these images to a 72 ppi rgb file for eventual conversion to small 300 x 246 jpg's for the web, what is the best most efficient way to reduce these images, eg should i first resize the dimensions of the tiff then save as or should i open a new blank file withe new resolution setting and paste the tiff into this file and the resize, some help here would be great thanks again dave.
    IP

Hello Dave!

Hey you have to start somewhere [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This suggestion should be true in any bitmap editor. But my personal preference is to resample the image first because that has a natural tendency to change the dimensions.

Then, once you have the ppi (pixels per inch) that you had wanted, you can start adjusting the dimensions to the height and width that you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> or should i open a new blank file withe new resolution setting and paste the tiff into this file and the resize <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you shouldn't need to do the above [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Cutting and pasting would be tedious. Just open your tif and look in the program's help section (just to be certain about the specific way this program handles such an action) and possibly under a menu option like Image or Edit you should find a command like Resample

In most of the programs I've used, the resample dialogue will ask you about dimensions in the same space that it asks you about ppi. Just ingore the dimensions until you have resampled the ppi.

hmmmm I wish I could give a more accurate answer but I don't own this particular bitmap editor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

(I'll see if I can dig out some extra info . .. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Good Luck,

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Thanks for the reply Athena some trial and error and things seem to be working out and cleaner smaller files seem to be resulting, so much to learn regards Dave.
    IP