Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi! Boy, am I having fun with XaraX! I'm trying desperately to get up to speed with all of the new features, but there's so many possibilities with XaraX, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. On the surface, it looks simple enough, but when you really dig deep into what the tools can do, it's like you get sucked into a big vortex and when you look up, hours have passed by! The effects you can easily achieve by being able to combine bitmap and vector elements is amazing. I'm almost done reading all of the previous posts here so I can pick up what you guys have discovered along the way in XaraX. I couldn't wait to finish, though, and I had to try out the new brush tool. It's not quite the Pattern Pen tool in Painter 6 when it comes to bitmaps, but it's very cool with vectors, and I'm working around the bitmap limitations, thanks to Ivan's insight on slicing the bitmaps. Here's an example of some Gem brushes I just made. I've got a ton of custom Pattern Pen brushes I made for Painter, and I'll start converting them to Xara in the weeks to come. Thank you all for sharing your ideas and images. I've learned so much already in the few days I've been lurking around here. And, of course, like many of you here, it all started with Gary. I found his tutorials waaaay back when at CorelNet when I was just starting out as a digital artist. Whenever I lost my inspiration over the past few years, all I had to do was come back and see what Gary was up to. He's the most prolific artist/teacher on the internet. I hope Mr. Bouton gives a big nod to our Gary if the XaraX book ever makes it to print...

-Michelle

P.S. Hi Dennis! I love all of the new illustrations on your website
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gembrush.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	3299  

Hi! Boy, am I having fun with XaraX! I'm trying desperately to get up to speed with all of the new features, but there's so many possibilities with XaraX, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. On the surface, it looks simple enough, but when you really dig deep into what the tools can do, it's like you get sucked into a big vortex and when you look up, hours have passed by! The effects you can easily achieve by being able to combine bitmap and vector elements is amazing. I'm almost done reading all of the previous posts here so I can pick up what you guys have discovered along the way in XaraX. I couldn't wait to finish, though, and I had to try out the new brush tool. It's not quite the Pattern Pen tool in Painter 6 when it comes to bitmaps, but it's very cool with vectors, and I'm working around the bitmap limitations, thanks to Ivan's insight on slicing the bitmaps. Here's an example of some Gem brushes I just made. I've got a ton of custom Pattern Pen brushes I made for Painter, and I'll start converting them to Xara in the weeks to come. Thank you all for sharing your ideas and images. I've learned so much already in the few days I've been lurking around here. And, of course, like many of you here, it all started with Gary. I found his tutorials waaaay back when at CorelNet when I was just starting out as a digital artist. Whenever I lost my inspiration over the past few years, all I had to do was come back and see what Gary was up to. He's the most prolific artist/teacher on the internet. I hope Mr. Bouton gives a big nod to our Gary if the XaraX book ever makes it to print...

-Michelle

P.S. Hi Dennis! I love all of the new illustrations on your website

Great looking jewels there, Michelle. Very nice lighting and transparencies.

Would you be willing to share the .xar file to the rest of the members? We have the brush Swap Shop for Xara Brushes. It's a great place to pick up some interesting brush strokes.

Also, you say you have loads of Painter stuff. Would you be willing to share them as well? I could open a Swap Shop for the Painter folks as well.

Cheers,

T
    thomas@xara.com

I'd be happy to share some of the custom goodies I've made over the years, but it will take me a few weeks to get my duckies in a row. I'm in the process of setting up a new studio. As for the gems, I can't take the credit for their natural beauty, as they are bitmap images not vector. I've made vector gems in the past and they are a pain! The new brush tool makes adding gems to any image a snap! I'd say it's a safe bet to go ahead and set up a Painter swap forum, because I know there are a lot of people out there that have great stuff to share and only need a place to do it. Thanks!!!

-Michell

A warm welcome to this forum!

As Thomas said it already all of us would be enthousiastic to find this kind of things in the Swap Shop. You have made a very good work!

Kind regards,

ivan

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

Thanks Michelle
    Those gems look good enough to steal!
    Can't wait to see them and your other stuff in the swap shop, we've missed you around here.

Dennis [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

Very Nice Michelle. Glad to see you are hanging around again. Hope you pop in at the Painter fourm too it needs some perking up.

I put 3 patterns on the painter forum, if anyone is interested I can change them into a tiff download.

Judi