Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Keiko, my lifelong companion, grew up in "the land of the rising sun", hence my special feeling for that country and several of my images reflect that. This is the most recent.

NOTE:
    - Its name, GOHAN, means both "meal" and "rice"
    - Japanese chopsticks (here laquered) are shorter and pointier than Chinnese ones.

In this drawing:
    - I used linear transparency on the steam.
    - I made a brush for the rice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gohan.gif 
Views:	401 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	9821  

Keiko, my lifelong companion, grew up in "the land of the rising sun", hence my special feeling for that country and several of my images reflect that. This is the most recent.

NOTE:
    - Its name, GOHAN, means both "meal" and "rice"
    - Japanese chopsticks (here laquered) are shorter and pointier than Chinnese ones.

In this drawing:
    - I used linear transparency on the steam.
    - I made a brush for the rice.

Beau travail.... je suis moi-même de la région de Montréal. Content de voir un compatriote

Tioui

very nice image Jean-Guy. Nice subtle and natural effects you get there with the steam and the reflections, and I really like the colours of the bowl and background too. Non-X folks might be puzzled.. "linear transparency on the steam..??" Well, the man uses Xara, so naturellement!

Q.

Ohio, Jean...it is a neat subject. I think you have some very interesting pieces. I say 'pieces'because that's the impression I get of the over all work. The rice is nicely done. The chopsticks have something also. However, I get the impression that some of the elements are stuck on the wall where the sticks are laying down. The reason is that the shadow of the sticks tells my eyes that they are laying on something..but they also could be hung on a wall. The rice bowl has no shadow...it looks like it's suspended in air in front of a textured wall. The textured wall comes down with same pattern and intensity of hue...there is no division that would indicate a table, maybe. Jean, if the aforementioned are the effects that you wanted to create, then, great. But if they aren't and you wanted all to look like a serving placed on a table, then I humbly offer those observations. Keep up the nice work.

your Xaraian friend-Bill Cleg [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

TIOUI : Ça ne m’étonne pas qu’on retrouve des utilisateurs de Xara Ã* Montréal, mais je ne peux m’empêcher d’être content de voir que je ne suis pas le seul Montréalais Ã* contribuer Ã* ce forum.

QUENTIN: You talk about the steam. It’s the part that I spent most time with, until I got the desired effect.

BILL: Criticism like yours helps me improve my art. You are right when you speak of pieces: the chopsticks were imported as is from another image. The background is not supposed to be a wall but a tablecloth. In light of your comment, I will make two panes, one for the wall, and one for the tablecloth and give it a more linear look (from darker to lighter). As for the shadow of the bowl, how could I have forgotten that! Now that you mention it, that’s all I see.

the "flat" effect also comes from the pattern that is as big in the front as in the back.
    You could eventually mould it with the floor perspective...

This does not mean that I do not enjoy your image, far from that! It is often easier to see what can be made better in someone else's images than in one's own.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.