Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anybody know how to prevent a text link from being underlined? I've seen this done, but couldn't make out the spaghetti-code. Now, my only solution is to do those links as a graphic, but that makes it impossible for my client to update things himself. (I use FrontPage2000.)

Thanks,

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

Does anybody know how to prevent a text link from being underlined? I've seen this done, but couldn't make out the spaghetti-code. Now, my only solution is to do those links as a graphic, but that makes it impossible for my client to update things himself. (I use FrontPage2000.)

Thanks,

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

IP

Klaus

For example:
    A:link {
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: none;
    color: #990066;
    }
    A.inline:link {
    color: #990066;
    }
    A:visited {
    color: #405c91;
    }

A.inline:visited {
    color: #405c91;
    }

It's the text-decoration parameter which you need.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Simon, great - thanks a lot! I'll try out out tonight. (Am not sure I exactly understand how to use this code, syntax-wise - an actual example would be appreciated. :-) )

K
    K

IP

Simon, I've tried - but I am UTTERLY mystified as to how your code should be used with an actual HTML link. Can you give me an nitty-gritty example, pretty please?

Thanks,

K
    K

IP

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Style.html

And check under 'getting started'. But paste Simon's code into the style element in your head:

<style type="text/css">
    Simon's code goes here!
    </style>

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on May 17, 2001 at 17:32.]
    IP

Thanks you, Peter. But looking at that CSS "intro" I was again frustrated by the pathological tendency of most Web experts to go on forever about their damn code - with never an actual working example in sight!!! How nerdish can you get???

No offense intended to those on this Forum to try to help out! :-) But I will NOT be able to understand and do this without an actual working example.

K
    K

IP

Klaus ...

The intent of CSS - Cascading Style Sheets - is to allow changes of the "look" or style of html pages by globally declaring body backgrounds, font family, size, style, weight, page margins, link decoration and even positioning from one "style sheet". If you can imagine how nice it would be to change font color or background image with one declaration that would change across multiple pages, then you can appreciate the convenience of CSS.

You have 2 options with CSS :

1. Put them "inline", meaning hard coding them into each HTML page.

2. Link them within your HTML page but actually is declared in a separate file.

The first option kind of defeats the intent of CSS because you still have to change multiple pages. However, given their, still, inconsistent cross-browser nature this may be necessary dependant on what you want to do. Netscape is still pretty poor on CSS Level 2 implementation.

Also, you may only want to change the underlining on links on one page rather than across the board, in which case you would create your HTML page, using Simon's code example like this:

This will change all links on that particular page. Should you want to change a particular link, well, that gets more complicated - let me know and I can explain pseudo classes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you wish to have all links across your site have the same attributes then you would create a separate file called "whatever.css" in a text/html editor (Homesite/Dreamweaver handles all this very elegantly, btw) using the above bit from the beginning <style> to the </style>. In your HTML page you would do this :

Being one of those "nerdish" people to which you refer, Klaus, creating websites is about code, in exactly the same way that creating graphics is about understanding the program you create them in - 'fraid ya can't have one without the other. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com

[This message was edited by Jen Worden on May 18, 2001 at 07:18.]
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Thanks, Jen, for saying what I so nearly said to Klaus after seeing his reply to my post last night:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Being one of those "nerdish" people to which you refer, Klaus, creating websites is about code, in exactly the same way that creating graphics is about understanding the program you create them in - 'fraid ya can't have one without the other.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's face it, Klaus, basic HTML and CSS aren't exactly rocket science. Dave Raggett's tutorial answered your question clearly, explaining exactly what the code means and where to put it. You ask for help, turn your nose up at what you're offered and plead a degree of helplessness that just doesn't square with your obvious talents. If you really can't cope with what you've been offered here, employ someone to write your code for you but, if you're half the thinker we've been led to believe, it shouldn't take you long to pick up what you need to know. Hell, I had a site up and running with a separate, linked style sheet within a few weeks of starting out from scratch with Dave Raggett's tutorials. Coding is creative and fun in much the same way as graphics... Sure, proficiency requires a certain amount of practice (and hopefully none of us ever thinks we know it all) but, if anyone can copy a photograph (your words, not mine), anyone, his granny and his dog can cope with simple code.

IMHO, Klaus, it's not so much a question here of can't as won't! And that's disappointing coming from someone of your obvious intelligence...

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on May 18, 2001 at 11:34.]
    IP

Jen, thanks a LOT! Now I could easily make it work. I've struggled with CSS stuff before and have much trouble with it, so when I saw more CSS trouble looming up ahead, I just gave up. Lousy quitter, I am! :-)

K
    K

IP