Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Peter: "IMHO, Klaus, it's not so much a question here of can't as won't! And that's disappointing coming from someone of your obvious intelligence..."

You're right, I did not *want* to waste my intelligence on unravelling what was poorly explained.

In various capacities, I am a lecturer, writer and teacher. I KNOW the crucial importance of giving students and readers actual *examples* in order to to explain something. I also consider it MY responsibility to provide such information. So when I am on the other side of the fence, I get damn annoyed at people who don't do their job properly - like that web-code "expert" Simon kindly reffered me to.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

I'm glad you got it straightened out, Klaus, but I'm afraid we'll still have to agree to differ on some of our comments:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You're right, I did not *want* to waste my intelligence on unravelling what was poorly explained.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I found it clear as daylight!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I KNOW the crucial importance of giving students and readers actual *examples* in order to to explain something... So when I am on the other side of the fence, I get damn annoyed at people who don't do their job properly - like that web-code "expert" Simon kindly reffered me to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... that wasn't Simon, it was me. IMHO that tutorial's full of examples (including some directly relevant to your question), which is why I suggested it to you. And remember I'm a teacher, too.

I take it from your use of quotes that your description of Dave Raggett as an "expert" was intended to be a little sarcastic - perhaps if you investigated his involvement with W3C or ran his HTML Tidy over some of your code you might change your mind. He's an expert alright, period!

But good luck with the code anyway...

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    IP

The balance we all have to reach in these forums - including the XaraX one where I normally come across Klaus - is to give responses appropriate to the skill level of the participants.

The original question seemed to be one of those "I know you can do it, I've read about it somewhere but I can't remember" type, where a quick memory jog is enough. Obviously I was wrong.

Thread closed I guess.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Simon and Peter, I'm grateful for your replies - too bad I'm so dense and lazy, eh? ;-)

But it was Jen who really showed me the way, so my deepest thanks goes to her! :-) The only thing I can't get to work now is to make the ALINK change color when pressed - no matter what hex values I put in in various places. Any tips, Jen?

Thanks,

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

IP

Klaus
    Have you changed the colour values in the visited entries:

A:visited {
    color: #405c91;
    }

A.inline:visited {
    color: #405c91;
    }

Or you you mean as they are clicked on? In which case...someone else can probably chip in with some JavaScript or dynamic CSS. Oh dear. Now we probably get into the "if Netscape do blah, if IE then..." problem. Hold on tight, Klaus!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Yes, I've changed color values. Yes, I mean as they are clicked on.

Oh my - I'm holding on tight!

K
    K

IP

Hi Klaus,

I'm new here, but I think I can help answer your question. If I understand what you are trying to do, you need to use
    a:active { color: #FF3333; text-decoration: none}
    Changing the color number in that will change the color that the link changes to as you are clicking it. I'm not very good with css, but Dreamweaver has a very handy feature to add the link styles. You mentioned that you were using fp2000 - maybe there is a way to add the styles using it?

Also, I learn best by seeing examples, too, so I often use "view source" to help me figure out how someone did something. If you want to see how I used css to change the look of some of my links on a site I'm currently working on, you can look at the code at http://www.geocities.com/michelleswebdesigns Ignore the geocities ad - I just uploaded it there temporarily until it's ready to go live.

Take care!
    Michelle
    IP

Michelle, I love you! Your code and your sample page was exactly what I needed to do what I wanted - thanks a lot! Glad you've finally come out of lurkdom. :-)

K
    K

IP

Glad I was able to help! - Michelle
    IP