Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, first of all I would like to say hello to you all since this is my first post. I've been visiting talkgraphics for a while and now I finally decided to become a member.

I have a question;

The ruler guides in Photoshop 6.01 don't seem to work; the object doesn't always snap exactly to the guide. I've been reading about this problem on the internet and it seems that only moving the guides to the object, will snap them.
    This is not a pleasant way to work with guides, so anybody else have a better idea and is Adobe going to fix this?

Thank you.

[This message was edited by Gaussian on March 11, 2002 at 12:16.]
    IP

Hi Gaussian, welcome to the board. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Can i ask if you have the "snap to guides" option selected in the menu? That has to be on.

I know... sounds like a dumb question... but one i wanted to get out of the way first. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Yes snap to guides is on.
    Is it that you never discoverd this well known problem?
    Just try it out and you will see what I mean (zoom in).
    IP

Hi Gaussian,

No, i'm aware of this issue. But i just had to make sure that the "snap to guides" option was being used. No biggy.

Now... i think you'll find that objects WILL snap properly to the guides if you also have the general "Snap" option turned on.

It's right above the "Snap To..." option in the view menu. Turn that on, i think you'll find that to be your solution.

PS: i tested and retested this to be sure it does indeed work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

No, that doesn't work.

Yes look at these URL's

URL1

URL2

URL3

URL4 (problem in detail)

I've tried it again on another machine, Windows 2000 with SP-2, same problem. The things is that it doesn't allows occur. Snapping does occur, that's not the problem, but it doesn't snap exactly to the guides but a few pixels beside it. It's many times not even noticable until you zoom in. You should really check this out, because this problem DOES exist and don't forget to zoom in. Also try it more than a couple of times and the problem will occur. I've just read too many stories of users who came across the same problem, to know that it is a real problem. However, the problem doesn't seem to occur in Photoshop 5.0/5.5
    IP

Well dang... i don't know what to say then Guassian.

I have tried/tested this repeatly, and several times at that in fact. I'm just not seeing/having this problem.

Perhaps it might help here if you could post some example images or screen shots zoomed in, that could show me how this is effecting your image.

Below are example close-up screenshots of one of my tests. Now that one url you gave me said that this issue is specifically noticeable on grids smaller than 16 pixels... well, my grid in the images below is only 10x10, with subdivisions @ 2px intervals. So that's well below his stated problem grid resolution.

And the last image shows my 10x10 orange square being snapped perfectly to the 2 guides laid out.

So... although yes, there ARE a lot of folks having a problem with this, and i've seen and heard a lot about it... i can't seem to reproduce this problem myself.

Work-arounds that might help with this problem:

1) Using the Alignment functions whenever possible.

2) Using the arrow keys to nudge objects &/or selections into the exact placement needed.

Sorry if i couldn't help more Guassian. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

IP

10x10px Grid and squares seen @ 100% zoom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Top left corner of the same image, but zoomed into 1600% (maximum amount)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid2.gif 
Views:	216 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	7167  
    IP

Same image as above, but with grid turned off. Notice that the suqare shapes are "snapped" perfectly into place along the black edges. -- notice NO gaps in the edges of the squares along the black edge. At this % zoom, the gap would look huge.

Name:	grid2b.gif 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	1465  
    IP

Top right corner of above image, still zoomed into 1600%. Shows a 1x1px square created and "snapped" perfectly into the corner of the grid.

Name:	grid3.gif 
Views:	191 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	3858  
    IP