Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jinny,
    I really like the top picture, the brush work is great!
    Judi
    IP

Hi Jinn

How about a tutorial on "creating flames"

for those of us having difficulty with our R's

T
    IP

Dawn (oh, that's so much easier to type.. thanks!)

Thanks for the encouragement. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on June 30, 2001 at 15:33.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Judi,

Thanks! There's a little story behind that painting:

A few years ago, I was a member of an online forum that decided to do a web site. They were looking for a central image for the main page and I found a painting on the Web that I liked a lot. Just for a temporary place holder while they found the perfect image, I did this little painting using the orginal as a reference. The original was done in a completely different style (very realistic). I think it was done in oils. The proportions were very different, and the two paintings don't look much at all like each other.. so.. I don't feel that I violated the artist's copyrights.

Anyway.. the one I did took maybe 30 to 45 minutes and I just slapped on the paint (Water Color, Airbrush, and Felt Pens' Dirty Marker variant).

The original (my original) is only 314 x 314 pixels at 72 ppi, so it's useless for printing. Back then, I was still just playing with Painter and had no idea either how to set up a Canvas for printing or that I'd ever have anything I would want to print.

Oddly enough, this little painting has brought more compliments than any other. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lesson not quite learned but should have been by now: When I am not trying to do anything special, the best things happen.

It's not a great painting but considering my complete lack of traditional painting experience, I feel pretty good about it.

I do want to learn to paint!

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi,

If you've planned to use my frames tutorial, please read it again. I've just added a NOTE before the steps begin.

Thanks to Judi, I was reminded to add this note so you'll increase the size of your Canvas before beginning to create the frame/multiple frames. If this is not done, your frames will bite into the painting. Not a good thing!

Sorry about the omission.

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi guys.

Jinny write a book and put all your wonderful tutorials in it.Make sure you have it well and truly copyrighted also.

In book form the info would be a real hassle to deseminate to others and steal,and most tutorial theives are lazy whcih explains why they dont write their own tutorials in the first place [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.
    IP

Stu,

Yes, putting it in book form does make it easier to protect. However, a printed book is a bit of an expense for such a relatively small audience.

The next best thing is PDF format which is somewhat protected but until recently, not very thoroughly.

There's a new (or newly public) digital rights management technology that protects in several ways according to the rights the author wishes to assign.

For instance, and I don't know a whole lot about this yet, the author can assign rights to print a limited number of hard copies.. down to only one of they wish. Also, if the purchaser decides to share the book, the person it's given to, upon trying to read the book, will be taken to a website that says something to this effect: "Hello. If you'd like to purchase this book, click here."

This technology also allows the book to be tracked so the writer knows who has it and where it's been sent.

Don't quote me on any of this because, as I said, I don't know much about it yet but plan to learn as it's a possible solution for many writers and artists.

Jinny Brown
    IP

Dawn,

The e-mail address you used for this forum is apparently not working. Can you write to me at jinbrown@pixelalley.com ?

Thanks,

Jinny Brown
    IP