Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all,

Since a lot of folks learning Painter don't know that it's easy and fun to create frames for their paintings, using Painter, here are a few examples with a general description of how they were created (the first is too large to post here so I'll just give you the URL.. there's a description of how that image was created and also a link to a cool little plugin that works... in Painter 6, at least):

http://www.pixelalley.com/brushstrok...okes-pg14.html

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...rame-1-opt.jpg

(The zig-zags in the frame are due to my selections in Painter 6.1 getting wonky recently. I don't know what causes this but you should not have this problem.)

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...-frame-opt.jpg

(In this case, I decided that the peculiar selection problem resulted in a more interesting frame so I didn't bother to change it.. which can be done, by the way.)

I used the following methods to create multiple frames around the paintings, then treat them in various ways:

NOTE: Thanks to Judi for reminding me that I'd forgotten to include this in my original tutorial. Before beginning these steps, increase the size of your Canvas by the combined number of pixels you plan to use for your single or multiple frames. To do this, choose a Canvas color, go to the Canvas menu and click Set Paper Color, click Canvas Size, then type the appropriate number of pixels for Top, Left, Bottom, and Right.

1. In the Select menu, Select/All.

NOTE: Keep notes on the number of pixels you use for Contract, Widen, and Border in order to create multiple frames without forgetting how many pixels to Contract and make the borders precisely next to each other. Also, it may be helpful to use Select menu, Save Selection, and note the name of the Selection which you can find either by looking in the Save Selection drop down list or in the Objects palette's Mask section list.

2. In the Select menu, Modify/Contract then type in the appropriate number of pixels.

3. In the Select menu, Modify/Border then type in the appropriate number of pixels.

4. Use any of the following treatments (use these, and/or others that you discover, alone or in combination... experiment and play!):

Effects menu/Fill Using: either Current Color or Pattern

Effects menu/Fill Using: Paper and, if you want, adjust the Reflection slider to reflect the current Pattern.

Paint in the Selection then Apply Surface Texture.

Effects menu/Surface Control/Apply Lighting.
    In the Object palette's Dynamic Layers section (Painter 6) or P.Float section (Painter 5 and 5.5), choose Bevel World then click the Apply button and experiment. In Bevel World, you can also adjust the Reflection slider to reflect the current Pattern.

5. When your frame is finished, to add a drop shadow, use Effects menu/Objects/Create Drop Shadow. Try the default settings first to get an idea of how they look. Then experiment to get the look you want.

Have a great time! Please share your results and tell us how you got them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on June 26, 2001 at 14:49.

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on June 30, 2001 at 14:57.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi all,

Since a lot of folks learning Painter don't know that it's easy and fun to create frames for their paintings, using Painter, here are a few examples with a general description of how they were created (the first is too large to post here so I'll just give you the URL.. there's a description of how that image was created and also a link to a cool little plugin that works... in Painter 6, at least):

http://www.pixelalley.com/brushstrok...okes-pg14.html

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...rame-1-opt.jpg

(The zig-zags in the frame are due to my selections in Painter 6.1 getting wonky recently. I don't know what causes this but you should not have this problem.)

(In this case, I decided that the peculiar selection problem resulted in a more interesting frame so I didn't bother to change it.. which can be done, by the way.)

I used the following methods to create multiple frames around the paintings, then treat them in various ways:

NOTE: Thanks to Judi for reminding me that I'd forgotten to include this in my original tutorial. Before beginning these steps, increase the size of your Canvas by the combined number of pixels you plan to use for your single or multiple frames. To do this, choose a Canvas color, go to the Canvas menu and click Set Paper Color, click Canvas Size, then type the appropriate number of pixels for Top, Left, Bottom, and Right.

1. In the Select menu, Select/All.

NOTE: Keep notes on the number of pixels you use for Contract, Widen, and Border in order to create multiple frames without forgetting how many pixels to Contract and make the borders precisely next to each other. Also, it may be helpful to use Select menu, Save Selection, and note the name of the Selection which you can find either by looking in the Save Selection drop down list or in the Objects palette's Mask section list.

2. In the Select menu, Modify/Contract then type in the appropriate number of pixels.

3. In the Select menu, Modify/Border then type in the appropriate number of pixels.

4. Use any of the following treatments (use these, and/or others that you discover, alone or in combination... experiment and play!):

Effects menu/Fill Using: either Current Color or Pattern

Effects menu/Fill Using: Paper and, if you want, adjust the Reflection slider to reflect the current Pattern.

Paint in the Selection then Apply Surface Texture.

Effects menu/Surface Control/Apply Lighting.
    In the Object palette's Dynamic Layers section (Painter 6) or P.Float section (Painter 5 and 5.5), choose Bevel World then click the Apply button and experiment. In Bevel World, you can also adjust the Reflection slider to reflect the current Pattern.

5. When your frame is finished, to add a drop shadow, use Effects menu/Objects/Create Drop Shadow. Try the default settings first to get an idea of how they look. Then experiment to get the look you want.

Have a great time! Please share your results and tell us how you got them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on June 26, 2001 at 14:49.

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on June 30, 2001 at 14:57.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    IP

Thanks again Jinny, out comes my treepad to copy your notes. Are you sure you're not one of the creators of the program. You have such wonderful knowledge about it...
    Dawn
    IP

dawnre,

Well, wouldn't that be nice, if I were! Then I'd be getting paid for this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nope, I just love it to the point of insanity. My friends tell me not to be a sap.. I don't need to be on a crusade.. Corel should be doing it.. don't give it all away for free for, as Thelonious says, Ghod's sake! (or was that Ghawd's sake?.. I think it was.. sounds better.. more dialect-dramatic).

All I ask, at this point, and expect is that people don't, copy and paste, share, or otherwise distribute my tutorials and instructions given in e-mail lists, message boards, forums, and newsgroups. They are available where I place them only, and for individual use only.. not for other groups, classes, etc.

One of these days, I may either teach classes for a fee or bundle up some tutorials and sell them.. or both. I certainly have volumes of them collected on my hard drive. Some not published anywhere. My fingers may wear out before that happens, though.. or my eyes.. or my posterior from being sat on so much. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

One of the main reasons I haven't done either of those two things is that there's no decent way to ensure that one person, or a handful of persons won't pay, then make copies for all of their buddies.. rendering my efforts completely fruitless as far as money is concerned. Rather than be angry at being ripped off by some oblivious gathering of ladies (it's usually women with sweet smiling faces who do this), I'd rather give it away. At least I have some modicum of control that way. Sigh...

In the meantime, I pray that my IRA regains it's value because I plan to live a long time.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    IP

Jinny I highly recommend the teaching part. I teach Painter and Photoshop once a week and it really helps keep you on track and learning more.
    Also working with my niece who will be attending SCAD(Savannah College of Art and Design)this summer.[http://www.scad.edu/flashFILES/main_...rms1.htm]Helps me foucus on figureing out how to explain to someone what you are thinking in your head. My main problem right now is time. Retirement looks good right now. Will have to wait just a few more years for that though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi Jinny, my treepad notes are just for me. I keep a reference of tips I recieve for different programs. My brain, although the info is stored in there, can't seem to pull up all the details, lol
    Jinny, where would I sign up for a beginners class with you??? You'd be one heck of a teacher. You should concider it with all the knowledge you have about this program, plus you have a passion for it and that alone would be the biggest asset..
    ps
    You can just call me Dawn...
    IP

No Jinny it was Ghod. As used by Aline Kominsky Crumb.It's a sort of exasperated Noo Yawk jewish sort of thing. There definately wouldn't be an aitch in Gawd. That's more east end of London as in Gawd and bleedin' bennet.

By the way as for as I understand things we (human beings) only do anything for our own sake. For the sake of the pleased self. I do realise that this bothers some people but think about it.

T
    IP

Jinny, thank you for posting all this info.

Gosh there is so much to learn about this fabulous program. I wish I had more "play" time.

Skippy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

You are so right about doing it to please your self. I get as much by teaching a student as the student does. It is really helpful to me. Not everyone will look at the same problem the same way I have learned over the years. Same with Painter. There are many ways to do the same step in Painter. Generally 3 . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

There's nothing like teaching for showing up any holes in the lack of clarity in ones understanding.

T
    IP