Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Just a fence

Before we move on to buildings (after waterfalls), here is a fence. So easy to do.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fence.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	1927  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Before we move on to buildings (after waterfalls), here is a fence. So easy to do.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Excellent work Simon, looks real clean.

Doing buildings will be a whole lota work though huh? Having to create the 3D depth on every aspect of the structures created. It may be a lota work, but i don't see why photo-realistic results can't be easily obtained if the proper attention to detail is paid.

Only problem i foresee with doing buildings is manuvering the bitmap textures to have the correct perspectives.

Something tells me this will present some small, but hopefully correctable, snafus. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    *Unless of course the structures' surfaces are created within Xara and not imported bitmaps.

I'm sure all the fine folks coming here will no doubt have some excellent solutions, if/when the situation does arise.

Keep 'em coming Simon!
    Mark...

To create the effect of a perspective, fill a shape bigger than the area you wish to fill and fill with your bitmap. Create bitmap copy and apply persective mould. Apply to desired shape using clip view. Voila
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brickhouse2.gif 
Views:	344 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	12530  
    Tony

...don't fence me in...

...all in all you're just another brick in the wall...

now next: a pinballwizard WHO??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your perspective tip; it will be useful on other diagrams I will need to do.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

The technique of using the mould tool to perspectivise the brick bitmap fill is great for relatively simple projects. It is absolute terror on a complicated rendering. I once tried it on architectural rendering that would have required hundreds of moulds. I didn't get very far...

The problem is it is very difficult to get the various perspectives correct. The eye is very good at detecting flaws in perspectives - too good for the technique to be very effective. Even minor differences in the moulds' various vanishing points becomes very noticable. Furthermore, while the bitmaps may print okay they don't display very well on screen when you are "zoomed" out as may be needed to adjust the moulds. It is very difficult to get the scale of the bitmap correct along with the vanishing points. Again I point out, with only three or four moulds it isn't that taxing, but do it with more and see-ya in therapy!

There is hope! One way to use the mould tool in architectural renderings using bitmap fills is as follows: The technique is most appropriate for relatively simple two-point perspectives. Draw the relevant 2d elevation views and apply the bitmap fills as appropriate. Working with one elevation at a time group all the objects that will be in the same plane and apply moulds to them. This way those objects will share the same vanishing point and the fill scaling will all be correct relative to each other. With this technique you build up each side of your perspective by placing moulded groups relative to each other and then you have infill between those groups. Are you confused yet? I will try to track down a perspective I drew years ago with the first version of C#%&*Xara. It will all make sense when you see it!

I have found it more straightforward when drawing architectural perspectives to forget the bitmaps altogether. Instead just draw your brick coursings etc. as lines or shapes. Draw it all and have fun doing it. I haven't found the moulds to be much of a shortcut. Also whenever possible I choose a one-point perspective over two-points and if I can get away with it, I find it considerably faster to render a 2d elevation view. It is usually possible to successfully render all four building elevations in less time than a single perspective. (Believe me when I tell you it is also much easier to modify the elevation view than the perspective. Clients don't appreciate just how much work is envolved in making changes - but I'm not bitter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>