Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Geez Richard... I dunno... books... hmmm... I would use the money to be spent on your books and get a second video card and monitor... a dual setup is the only way to go... this way you can have an updated tutorial on one screen and be practicing on the other... also, when you get things going you have the browser open on one and the editor on the other... it's the only way to go, and as for info... the web is full of great stuff... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

but, for those times ya wanna sit back in the ol tub and read, well I have found the Smart Computing learning series magazines to be very informative... in particular Volume 7 issue 4... It's title was Super Web Tips this issue really went into the basics of web design.... from step by step basic coding to how to code preloading graphics, CSS, right on through to adding shopping carts, BB's and more... really a terrific issue this was...

These Smart Computing mags are pretty good for my liking anyhoo... but, as I have indicated, the web is full of info... go Google and explore [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Have fun eh, and let us know what ya find.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

TTYS [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

Hey Peter... this is great info... [thumbs up]

I am glad that my FP does what it does.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

It might also be worth drawing attention to the Web Design Group HTML 4.0 Reference and Cascading Style Sheets Guide (to a saved version of which I have a shortcut on my toolbar), which some might find more easily digestible than the W3C versions. For what it's worth (so who still uses HTML 2.0?), I've also just found (through the WDG) an HTML version of the HTML 2.0 Specifications (for some reason the link I'd previously copied from the W3C led to a text version on another site).

Finally (?), it might be worth noting that the section on paragraphs from the WDG's HTML 4.0 Reference states that the use of the closing tag 'prevents common browser bugs with style sheets.'

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

Gee, I didn't want to put you in a defensive posture! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have never coded XHTML, but that was not the subject.

My take - Some tags do not require closing because they are not open/close tags. Only one tag is necessary to do the job. That is what is meant by an "optional" closing tag. The end tag is not necessary and serves no purpose because there is nothing to close.

Can you give me an example of where a closing paragraph tag is NECESSARY? I don't used style sheets so I guess that is why I've never seen much use for the closing p-tag. Thanks for the info though, and if I ever use style sheets I'll be aware that closing paragraph tags will prevent problems. Good to know!

Richard, the best way to learn is from a good step-by-step tutorial. The one I mentioned is the other thread is the best I've ever seen, both as a tutorial and as a good HTML reference.

New Perspectives on Designing Web Pages with HTML Second Edition by Patrick Carey, published by Course Technology. (Comprehensive version is best.)

Course Technology

Elizabeth Castro wrote the definitive reference HTML book published by Peachpit Press at Peachpit Press. It isn't very good as a tutorial, IMO.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale Landry:
    Thanks for the info though, and if I ever use style sheets I'll be aware that closing paragraph tags will prevent problems. Good to know!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No idea whether that last bit was meant to be serious or tongue-in-cheek, but I'm afraid I simply can't be bothered with this any more. Every time I try to give someone a simple, helpful answer to a straightforward question (like my first reply to Richard in this thread or my reply to Gary's query about .lk domains), someone's not happy (to put it mildly, in the .lk case), so I'm clearing out for a while to remove all temptation to start helping anyone else!

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

Whoa there Peter... you can't bail on us now... well ya can, but... we don't want ya to [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You are a terrific asset to this forum and to this community at large... [beer chugs to ya]

I sort of thought this thread was just starting to become very informative indeed... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ya know, debating this and that in such a forum setting is par for the course and is what the forums are for... to share, to interact and to become the wiser because of the info shared... and thanks to you we have each taken with us some terrific info here...

I doubt that Dale meant anything negative, in fact he is one of several here at TG that really make it worth while sticking around... ya don't always have to agree with him, or even agree to disagree... just know that he has a kindly spirit that has provoked many thoughts through out the community and I for one take my hat off to him... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have the same feelings about you there Peter... coming out to voice an opinion and or to share some wisdom with us... hey cool... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So in closing, well hey, if ya need some time off to play a round or two of Golf, or catch a mess of fish...have at er... and enjoy yourself ok ?

Looking forward to seeing more of your Scottish mug around here real soon like.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers
    James (aka Gidgit) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

I'm very sorry this has gotten to the point of overwhelming and distastful to you, but I don't apologize for really appreciating the information that you have bestowed upon us. I know that you are very well informed on topics such as this. And, yes, it started out as a simple discussion but turned into a much larger discussion/debate but that's how we learn from one another, isn't it??

Thanks to James and Dale also for contributing to my better learning as well. I've got ALLOT to digest and read at this point and I'm very grateful!! Rootbear chugs to ya all!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My statement about style sheets and the closing paragraph tag was NOT tongue in cheek.

I learned something thanks to you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Like Gidgit, I thought this discussion was very interesting. Sorry you felt you wasted your time, but I don't think you did at all. If I ever use style sheets and run into problems, the first thing I will look for is those pesky paragraph tags not being closed. Forewarned is forarmed.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll