Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use em because my WYSIWYG editor puts them there hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Peter, could you tell us some more re- browser's for the blind... are we talking speach recognition tech here?

thanx in advance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey Peter, not understanding this:

hmmmm, it converted it to something else, and if I put in the parentheses it just disappears!! interesting!! and it did it again. What is this magic?? This HTML stuff, I am really [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Gidget, I got the line from your profile so........

Welcome, one and all to RAMWolff's wacky HTML lesson. Geeez and all I wanted was to learn a few sub characters. Is this considered addiction?? I feel strange and like I just want to keep going!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Just fine
    and how are you?</p>

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just fine
    and how are you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on thanks... hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    You have got it Richard... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

Links for Gidget:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/Glossary/B.html

(Speech engines or, believe it or not, braille!)

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9610.html

(Quite an old article now, but still interesting and relevant.)

What parentheses, Richard?

If you mean (&amp;lt;p&amp;gt, I'm not surprised. The brackets were intended to isolate what Infopoop had done to your paragraph tags and aren't part of the code!

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What parentheses, Richard?

If you mean ( ), I'm not surprised. The brackets were intended to isolate what Infopoop had done to your paragraph tags and aren't part of the code!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So that needs to be used on InfoPops profile pages instead of the <p> (the other 'p' and 'br' in brackets disappeared again)?? If so how do I do that?? Like, for example, if I want to say..

Hi,

My name is blankey blank blank blank!

I live at so and so on so on so on.

My life is like so.

Have a nice day!

Thanks again!!

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:
    So that needs to be used on InfoPops profile pages instead of the <p> (the other 'p' and 'br' in brackets disappeared again)?? If so how do I do that?? Like, for example, if I want to say..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, no, no, no... (hands over face!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Sorry, but that's what Infopop does to your standard <p> tags. HTML has been disabled on the profile pages and gets converted to entities that display instead of run! You can't use it in your profile! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

But your closing <p> tag wouldn't work anyway because it should have a forward slash instead of a back slash... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter

There is no closing paragraph tag, to my knowledge. Some books mention it, but it has no value at all. Nor is there a <br> closing tag.

The paragraph tag <p> is designed to create a space between the last line of text and the next. It does not need to be closed. It has similar functionality to the break tag <br>.

You can consider the paragraph tag to be a "new paragraph" tag. It does NOT demark the sentences in a paragraph, it only STARTS a new paragraph.

As I understand it, old HTML used to use <p/> and <br/> as their primary paragraph and break tags, but neither one needed or had a closing tag.

Some HTML books insist in error that <p> does have a closing tag, </p>. But </p> has no real function. HTML is very forgiving if you put in incorrect tags.

Peter is right. You apparently can't use HTML formatting in your profile, but you CAN use it in you signature lines, like Gidgit did.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Hey thanks for the info there Peter... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I will sift through this for sure... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard, why don't ya download a HTML editor such as Namo Web Editor 5 ... this will allow you to practice your html skills and to preview your results quick like... also, I chose Namo rather than say NoteTabPro simply because Namo is a excellent WYSIWYG editor... though if handcoding is the way you wish to go then NoteTabPro will help you along your way very nicely... hope this makes your efforts that much easier to you...

Keep us posted eh?

Dale, I use FP and/or Namo most of the time, and to this, they both include the closing tag for paragraphs... maybe this is considered by many as some of the Xtra code they write, as well as the space junk etc... but in all reality I have seen sites from all over the globe that continue to use WYSIWYG editors, which do bloat things some...but... it is the enviroment I/they are accustomed to working in... and we are not talking little sites here either, but rather large portals...

.... as long as the page comes across multi browser/platform friendly and looks good, then a bit of extra code here or there will not slow things down as much as a graphic that was not compressed as much as it could have been... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

[This message was edited by gidgit on November 17, 2002 at 14:37.]

for the links and info.

I have a couple of HTML, WYSIWYG, editors (Web Easy Professional by V-Com, used to be owned by ixla but they went under and V-Com bought it and fixed all the bugs and re released it) but it's so much work to look at all the stuff, I am interested in learning this stuff to a certain extent but.................well I guess I'm getting closer to wanting that site and just wanted to understand a few HTML things before I started with all of this.

I have Elizabeth Castro's HTML: for the worldwide web book (on loan from a friend) and was wondering if this is a good book to read or is there another that I should get that's easier to understand??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Thanks again!!

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale Landry:

There is no closing paragraph tag, to my knowledge. Some books mention it, but it has no value at all. Nor is there a <br> closing tag...

Some HTML books insist in error that <p> does have a closing tag, </p>. But </p> has no real function.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    HTML 2.0 Specification

'Technically, end tags are not required for paragraphs, although they are allowed.'

HTML 3.2 Specification

'The paragraph element requires a start tag, but the end tag can always be omitted.'

HTML 4.01 Specification

'Some HTML element types allow authors to omit end tags (e.g., the P and LI element types).'

XHTML 1.0 Specification

'4.3. For non-empty elements, end tags are required

'In SGML-based HTML 4 certain elements were permitted to omit the end tag; with the elements that followed implying closure. XML does not allow end tags to be omitted. All elements other than those declared in the DTD as EMPTY must have an end tag. Elements that are declared in the DTD as EMPTY can have an end tag or can use empty element shorthand (see Empty Elements).'

<hr>
    Check out the specs, Dale! Although </p> has only become obligatory for XHTML 1.0 and beyond, it's been there for years and encouraged more with each successive HTML version (note the changing emphasis through HTML 2.0, 3.2 and 4.0/4.01). Closed breaks, horizontal rules etc. are likewise required for XHTML.

Peter

PS Having joined this thread to provide a suitably concise answer to Richard's question about paragraphs and line breaks, I stand by the accuracy of my first reply and regret feeling compelled to defend it at this length!

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on November 17, 2002 at 15:54.]