Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi,

I mostly hang out in the XarX and PhotoImpact forums but I am really interested in finding out how to insert a line break in HTML docs. I am wondering if it's a subset character or what??

Like if you go to my profile and read it, it's all mashed together but in my profile page where it's written it's got paragraph breaks and line breaks where they are supposed to be. But as you can see it's not that way on the printed screen.

So, can anybody educate me a bit on this?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

thanks very much!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi,

I mostly hang out in the XarX and PhotoImpact forums but I am really interested in finding out how to insert a line break in HTML docs. I am wondering if it's a subset character or what??

Like if you go to my profile and read it, it's all mashed together but in my profile page where it's written it's got paragraph breaks and line breaks where they are supposed to be. But as you can see it's not that way on the printed screen.

So, can anybody educate me a bit on this?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

thanks very much!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Start a paragraph with <p>, end it with </p> and force a line break with <br> (or <br /> if it's XHTML). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

could you please look at my profile and tell me why this is not working?? I'm using it as a way to work with this coding stuff for the moment untill I understand this very basic thing.

A client that was just in for a hair cut and works in the industry gave me the same information but added in that certain sites software will wipe out any blank areas so it makes it hard to see if something like this is working correctly.

So if you looked at what I did then tell me what I'm doing wrong I would be very appreciative. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks very much!

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard check out my profile, and voila... it's my signature...

whoa, don't really know what happened there but... we should be ok now... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

hi there
    how are you</p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:
    could you please look at my profile and tell me why this is not working??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Unfortunately, HTML appears to have been disabled for the profiles. So when you type <p>, it's being converted to the entities you'd use (&amp;lt;p&amp;gt to display the code and not to run it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So if you looked at what I did then tell me what I'm doing wrong I would be very appreciative. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sorry, but it's nothing you've done! You've effectively been offered the 'Disable HTML' option from the bulletin board without the checkbox!

Peter

Force a line break with <br> and a new paragraph with <p>.

Forget </b> and <p/>. Those don't apply to HTML.

Gidgit, that closing </p> tag isn't necessary, is it? (There is no closing </p> tag in HTML 4.0.) Is that usage specific to this forum?

Oops, I typed <b> instead of <br>. Its late. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Yea, Pete is right... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Though I believe html works through the posts themselves.... in the reply box does it read HTML is on?

I will type this in one long line using html to check this out
    we should now be on the second line
    third line etc...</p>

I then hit enter and then proceed, there should now be a space between paragraphs here</p>

hi there
    how are you</p>

This has got to be the funniest bumbling thread I have ever been a part of... hahaha... too funny [beer chugs to Richard,Pete,Dale, and the rest of you happy viewers]

Anyhoo, Richard, just practice through the posts if ya have that option... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by gidgit on November 16, 2002 at 17:48.]

Starting to touch on a few of my pet topics here...

True, some end tags such as </p> can be omitted in HTML, but I'd always use them because it's good practice to do so and they're required in XHTML.

Technically, <em> (for emphasis) and <strong> (for strong!) are better than the more common <i> (for italic) and <b> (for bold) because the latter pair represent presentational rather than structural markup and are therefore meaningless in some user contexts (eg browsers for the blind).

Peter