Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

how to do this with photographs. I emailed David several days ago, but have not gotten an answer. So I am asking here for help on how to figure out how to do this with a photograph.

http://www.btinternet.com/~davrodigital/baldwinthe.htm

I need help with both the image prep steps to create the cutout and how to make the brass plaque.

Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If there is a plug-in or action already created for at least part of it, I would be very interested in hearing about it.
    IP

Hokay, I checked the site. Definitely can be done in PS. You may need EyeCandy to do the carve, the rest are all PS texture, Find Edge and probably Treshold to get the train. I'm not sure, but looks like the train is etched in, too.
    IP

The entire image can be done with just the "Bevel & Emboss" filters within PS's "Layer Effects". Each element would be beveled separately, on it's own layer.

The train is just a trace outline (which can be achieved with the "Trace Contour" or "Find Edges" filters, the set to Luminosity blend mode), the plaque just a solid coloured square, the rivets just solid coloured circles, and the same goes for the text.

I see no real etching effect on that train line drawing. I think it could be stronger. As is, it look only like a stamp or print.

Just apply the B&E filter to each element within the image separately. Depending on the doc size (in pixels) you use, adjust the 'Depth' & 'Size' of the bevel, to suit your needs. Make sure you use the exact same 'light source' direction for everything -- "global light source".

PS: Make sure you don't make the same mistake that person did by adding a drop shadow to the 'sunken in' type -- The Baldwin.

Hope that helps.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP