Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

David,

The reason both images appear the same on your screen (and would on a Web page) is that the screen displays in pixels, not inches. 500 pixels takes up whatever proportion of your screen, depending on the screen resolution. Mine is set at 1024 x 768 so, horizontally, the 500 pixel wide Canvas takes up about 48% of the screen width. Vertically, it takes up about 65% of the screen height.

However, if you were to print these two images, here's the size you'd see (as long as you didn't tell your printer to "Fit to Page", or stretch the image to fill the paper's printable area):

500 x 500 pixels at 72 ppi (**500 divided by 72**) = roughly 6.94 x 6.94 inches

500 x 500 pixels at 300 ppi (**500 divided by 300**) = roughly 1.67 x 1.67 inches

You're right about the unfair comparison. Sorry David, I'm the one who needs slow down and think more. I did another test and instead of selecting the Shape in the 72 ppi image I dropped the Shape then selected the whole Canvas (to eliminate the anti-aliasing problem), copied it, and pasted it onto the 300 ppi Canvas as a Layer. Then I zoomed in to 500% and toggled the Layer off and on to compare the edges. They appeared to be the same just as you say they were.

What does make a difference, in size as seen on the screen rather than resolution, is if you create the drawing on, for instance, a 300 x 300 pixel 72 ppi Canvas and paste it onto a 600 x 600 pixel 72 ppi Canvas. The pasted image covers one fourth of the larger Canvas.

600 x 600 pixels at 72 ppi would print 8.33 inches square
    300 x 300 pixels at 72 ppi would print 4.17 inches square

The image that's larger on screen is still larger when printed because the ppi is the same.

600 x 600 pixels at 300 ppi would print 2.00 inches square
    300 x 300 pixels at 72 ppi, would print 4.17 inches square

Now the image that's larger on screen is smaller when printed because each inch gobbles up more pixels. The image that's smaller on screen is larger when printed because each inch takes up fewer pixels (it takes more inches to gobble up all those pixels).

Phew!

This is why it's best to experiment. There's nothing like experience to make things sink in. Intuition helps too.. but trying to make sense of it intellectually ain't so easy and it's hard to explain right, too. Thanks for giving me the practice and letting me know I was leading you down the wrong path. (Hope that doesn't happen too often!)

;

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

If you load over a default brush it is not neccessary to reload the whole program. Insert the painter cd choose custom install scroll down the list carefully. You will find you are able to install the default brushes only. It is easily missed, keep an eye on the scroll bar it could be buried. It is handy to copy this to you hard drive so future accidents can be fixed easily.
    IP

Thanks Jinny, I wonder what the mechanism is in Painter for capturing the dab image. It seems very similar to capturing a screen shot. My current thinking is that I need to create the dab with my highest *monitor* resolution ie. 1600 x 1200 pixels, and to ensure the image edges are antialiased.

David
    IP

David,

The brush captured for my Gingerbread Man Brush tutorial was created on a 300 ppi Canvas and I don't recall exactly how large the dab was but think it was about 300 x 300 pixels (the Canvas was larger than that but I didn't need to make the dab that big).

Since the brush dab was square with the figure cut out of it, there wasn't a problem with the outer edges (vertical and horizontal edges don't pixelate as do curves and angles). I drew the figure with the Lasso tool on a white Canvas filled with black, then Feathered the figure Selection by 3 pixels and used Ctrl/Command+X to clear the black Fill and leave a white "hole" in the brush dab.

When using the captured brush variant, even when the brush Size is increased a lot, the curves of the cut out figure remain smooth. You can take a look at the Gingerbread Man brush painted at various sizes to see that the edges remain smooth enough:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...man-brush.html

I don't think you need to create a huge brush dab to capture. It's doubtful that you'll ever paint with one as large as that.

Probably the best thing to do is make a few samples and see how they turn out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP