Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I'm in a time crunch and could use a quick answer. I have several technical illustrations that I'm turning into a clipart library. I want to have each part in the library. It would be nice if I could select a part and then export just it to a .xar file...unfortunately the whole drawing goes out so I'm having to cut-n-paste each part to an empty page and export it from there - quite time consuming...
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I'm in a time crunch and could use a quick answer. I have several technical illustrations that I'm turning into a clipart library. I want to have each part in the library. It would be nice if I could select a part and then export just it to a .xar file...unfortunately the whole drawing goes out so I'm having to cut-n-paste each part to an empty page and export it from there - quite time consuming...
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Are you checking "selection"?

I reboot Windows for a living
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	6714  
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

I don't have any box like that - are you fooling me...?

I even went to the help file in Xara and read this...

Exporting part of a document

You can easily export a selection of objects from a document.

To export part of a drawing

1.Select the objects you want to export (see Selecting objects).

2.From the Edit menu, choose Copy to copy the objects to the clipboard.

3.From the File menu, choose New to create a new, blank document.

4.Press CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste the objects back in the same position in the new document.

5.Export the new document as normal.

Hmmnnnn?
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com

Hi Wfcentral,

Raffon isn't fooling you. In the Export File dialog if you select the .xar file type the smaller dialog shown is Raffon's image does truly show up.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have CorelXara 2.0 and Xara X on my machine - I was working on building a clipart library for some co-workers who only have CorelXara so I was working in that version - it doesn't have the export selection feature - I see it now...

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com

When you export a selection, the file's preview bitmap is of the whole drawing, not just the selection. If a preview isn't important, you can export as a WEB file and check the box to remove the bitmap. WEB files are essentially the same as XAR files if you don't check any of the boxes, so can have a .xar ending. You may even prefer to use some of the other options to remove unused data if the files are only ever going to be imported into other documents.

If you need an accurate preview, an alternative to the cut & paste method is to export a XAR file then open and save it back on itself (using Save As). If you want a preview and the WEB format efficiency, export the selection as XAR, open it and export as WEB, but use a .xar ending and don't check the Remove preview bitmap option.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean