Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thanks for the info

You know this sounds like an interesting challenge for all to try [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .... make a phoenix ( I assume in it's state of burning as the rest of it's life may have been a tad boring in comparison [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Thanks for the info ... that city Heliopolis must be a greek word based on Helios (greek god of the sun ). I'd be curious what the Egyptian name for it was or was it called that by them too (no doubt based on their word for their sun diety).

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

The name of the phoenix in Egyptian is "Bennu" and this bird played a very prominent part in mythology, but the texts do not bear out the extraordinary assertions which have been made about it by classical writers.
    All these fabulous stories are the result of misunderstandings of the Egyptian myth which declared that the rerewed morning sun rose in the form of a Bennu, and the belief which declared that this bird was the soul of Ra and also the lining symbol of Osiris, and that it came forth from the very heart of the god. The sanctuary of the Bennu was the sanctuary of Ra and Osiris, and was called Het Benben, i.e., the "House of the Obelisk," and remembering this is easy to understand the passages in the Book of the Dead, "I go in like the "Hawk , and I come forth like the Bennu, the Morning Star {i.e., "the planet Venus} of Ra " {xii. 2]; "I am the Bennu, which is in "Heliopolis" {Xvii.27}, and the scholion on this passage expressely informs us that the Bennu is Osiris.---Marie Parsons

From Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt by Richard Wilkinson---One of the three major cities of ancient Egypt, after Thebes and Memphis, Heliopolis, "city of the sun" in Greek, was situated in the area of Tell Hisn on the northwestern outskirts of modern Cairo. The ancient Egyptian name was Iunu, or iwnw, meaning pillar. Today it is largely covered by the suburbs of Cairo at el-Matariya and Tell Hisn. It is not situated on the bank of the Nile, but lay inland, to the west of the river, and was connected thereto by an ancient canal. Heliopolis, or On in Coptic, was the capital of the 13th Lower Egyptian nome. By the time of the Old Kingdom, the city was a center of astronomy as reflected in the title of its high priest, wr-m3w, "Chief of Observers" or "Greatest of Seers. This title was held by Imhotep during the 3rd Dynasty reign of King Djoser Netjerikhet, and dates earlier to the reign of Khasekhemwy in the second dynasty. Iunu/Heliopolis also had a reputation for learning and theological speculation, which it retained into Graeco-Roman times. Much of that learning centered on the role of the sun in creation, and maintenance of the world and in the persons of the gods Atum and Ra-Horakhty, whose temples must have graced the city. One of the earliest, richest, and most influential of theological traditions, centered in Iunu, was summarized in the concept of the Ennead, the group of nine gods that embodied the creative source and chief forces of the universe (though this number was not always nine; at some times it was as few as five, and other times as many as twenty or more; and often, the traditional Ennead includes a tenth god, Horus the Elder). By the beginning of the Old Kingdom that system had been formulated into a coherent philosophy, and it dominated Egyptian thought for the next three thousand years. Creation was viewed as an evolutionary process. However, it was recorded in typical Egyptian metaphors of birth rather than in abstract scientific or philosophical terminology. The Egyptians were aware that there had been a time when nothing was in existence, no sky, no earth, no humanity; the gods had not yet been born, nor had death yet existed (ref Pyramid Text Utterance 571, sect 1466). A source of creation was necessary in this nothingness. To the Egyptians, creation was an act of generation. Since they had an annual act of generation close to them in the Inundation of the Nile, they thought of the ultimate source of all created being as being the "primeval waters." Out of those waters, the god Atum arose. Pyramid Text Utterance 600 records this theology: Atum-Kheprer, you have come to be high on the hill, you have arisen on the Benben stone in the mansion of the Benu-bird in Heliopolis, you spat out Shu, you expectorated Tefnut, and you put your two arms around them as the arms of a ka-symbol, so that your ka might be in them. …O great Ennead which is in Heliopolis-Atum, Shu, Tefnut, Geb, Nut, Osiris, Isis, Set, Nephthys---children of Atum, extend his heart to his child, the king, in your name of Nine Bows. Benu Bird The benu-bird, or heron, figured prominently in paintings and reliefs throughout Dynastic history, as seen in the example of a bird in the solar barque from the tomb of Irynefer, Thebes, or in the example of the bird perched on a capstone from the Papyrus of Nakht, 18-19th Dynasty.

Rather interesting stuff I thought...
    Perhaps when the phoenix postings are up others will try their hand at the firebird image!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] That would be cool with all the different styles!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---Maya
    (another bit referring to the phoenix in other guises)
    The Bird of Paradise,
    the holy swan of song!
    On the car of Thespis he sat
    in the guise of a chattering raven,
    and flapped his black wings,
    smeared with the lees of wine;
    over the sounding harp of Iceland
    swept the swan's red beak;
    on Shakespeare's shoulder he sat
    in the guise of Odin's raven,
    and whispered in the poet's ear
    “Immortality!”
    and at the minstrels' feast he fluttered
    through the halls of the Wartburg.
    by Hans Christian Andersen
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Woah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] ...ask a little question and ... watch out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the info ...

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

Whoa! Major effort there RAMWolff, very nice.

Bob C.

there you go [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! There was tons more, also on the Chinese version, you're lucky I stopped there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] On to the artwork--- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Woah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] is right. You go girlfriend. That is allot of information and if anyone can't get a glimmer of inspiration from reading all of that, then, well, no apparent imagination I'm afraid.

There is one other visual example that was so overwhelming for me to see.....Walt Disneys Fantasia 2000, the last segment. It is prime example of the living, dying, and rising from the ashes beautifully done. I was in tears by the time that little piece was finished. Astouding beauty that tells of life, death and every thing in between.

Rent it, watch it and be inspired. I wanted to paint, draw and meditate all at the same time after watching that.

Just a little sharing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Well, I was thinking that if anyone else was wondering about the myth of the phoenix and maybe contemplating doing an image also, that it might be interesting to know how it came about, it's origin and how other cultures have tried to depict it. The symbolism is really widespread and speaks to many beliefs.
    I'm a stickler for detail I'm afraid [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] and I like to find out about things in depth.

You know, I've never seen "Fantasia", never even been to Disneyland. I used to occasionally watch some Disney stuff on the tube when I was a kid and saw "The Nine Lives of Tomasina" and "Bambi" of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . You can laugh if you want, but I just loved the art animation in "Bambi" (too cute!). I think my favorite Disney TV film was "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh", or whatever it was called. I'll try to see "Fantasia" sometime! Thanks for suggesting it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

... phoenix woman picture RAMWolff! I like the way the hair blends into the fire. I didn't realise you did comic book illustration, it would be nice to see some more of your work, perhaps also posted in the Gallery. Good stuff!

The phoenix idea does sound like a good one for a challenge, I look forward to seeing the results.

Thanks for all the info Maya, love reading about this sort of thing, mythology and whatnot.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

You won't regret the rental, you may even want a copy for yourself after seeing it. There is also a segment in there about flying killer whales that will make you go "Ooooo and Ahhhhh" and then shed a tear or two. It's an amazing effort. There is also a tribute to Hirschfeld that is SO right one, it's increadible. But that last segment is so touching to the heart and soul and I know you well enough to know you would love it and watch it over and over again. It's stunning. TRUST ME!!

Thanks so much Su for the compliement. Thanks for noticing one of the details that I personally love. The hair flowing into the Phoenix is so cool to me too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks to everyone else that likes the piece [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It's an old favorite of mine, time to put it in a frame and hang it on the south wall (element of fire direction), yup that's got to be done!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I will take your word for it that it's well worth getting and I'll see if I can order it! It really sounds fantastic!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Well, I managed today to do a phoenix version. Not sure where to post it as David's is in the other Gallery...but it probably has a better chance in this one to perhaps encourage others to join in and create one too if they want...hmmmmm. As this one is done with XaraX maybe it'd be better to post it in this gallery.
    Ok!!! I'm off to post it--- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain