Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The way I phrased that early post was misinterpreted---in the following one I tried to clarify it. What I meant was that it took more than 3 hours--it took about 2 days to put it all together with the several elements to work on and then incorporate. Would have been nice to do the whole thing in just 3 hours, but that wouldn't have been possible for me to draw it all out, shade it, etc...
    Thanks for your kind comments!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

That's a pretty good vector portrait there maya ... makes me want to try a realistic portrait but my therapist warned me about attempting such a task [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually I also like the burning crow image and the thought occured that it would be neat to make a phoenix image (sitting in a burning nest perhaps) with a different shaped bird but similar effect.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

That would be a cool project David! Will you do one perhaps??? I love your paintings and your new site design...I even found some crows in your paintings! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Especially liked that. If you decide not to do a phoenix maybe I'll try it. The symbolism and story of the phoenix is interesting.
    Thanks!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Well we can both do a phoenix ...as the last I checked I didn't have a copyright on that particular mythical bird ( just keep away from the Roc as I have the rights to that until 2008 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

<< speaking of which here's something I just now learned about the Roc in a search ... astronomy related http://www.heavens-above.com/myth.as...TZ=CET&con=Cyg >>>

I was searching for phoenix images and one of the first I found was at the address below ... pretty neat

http://www.geocities.com/DougieKING/images/phoenix.gif found at http://www.geocities.com/DougieKING/illustration.htm

Notice the name ...hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

About crows .... I have included tons of crows in paintings, usually small ones in leafless trees

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

YUP, Marvel Comics group ended up taking Jean Grey, AKA Marvel Girl and she became a light and dark version of the Phoenix. The light version wore a cool Green and Gold costume and the Dark version wore an even cooler version in Red and Gold and when she flew there was this glorious Phoenix bird that was like her aura.

I have posted a version of her that I did years ago for a friend of mine, this is a print out from Kinkos, he has the original. I took the image into XaraX and added a Marvel Copyright and my info too.

Enjoy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Seeing her again makes me long to do comics again!!! But I know that I do best by doing singular pieces not 22 page comic books!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark_Phoenix.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	4852  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Love your illustration RAMWolff!!! You might be interested to know that I have the comics also, but possibly there was an earlier series of the Phoenix as mine are from the mid '90's and, as are stashed away, I can't get to them now to check, but your image looks very much like those designs so it may be the same series. You did a wonderful job on it!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks, David, for granting the permission to do a Phoenix also [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] !!! I'll try to come up with something, it will be a fun project working with the fire effects again. I loved the info link to Cygnus and the mythology. Always so interesting--the stories surrounding the constellations--very colorful imagery within them. Could be more inspirations for projects! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The one you did of "Corvus" not too long ago is one of my favorites!
    Pretty wild you found a phoenix image from a "Doug King"...could you be related???? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Cool!
    Thanks guys!
    RAMWolff---why not post your excellent Phoenix painting in the Gallery???? I know others would love to see it and a lot of them will miss it in this thread as they won't expect it here. It's great and you really ought to!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

... portrait, Maya. Makes me want to try a realistic one too, but I'm afraid that my brain would implode.

I wish I had your patience!

RAMWolff - you obviously have a great deal of patience too! Fantastic work!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Good to hear from you!!! I think my head imploded long ago [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] so now it just doesn't matter what happens [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! I'm not particularly patient, I don't think, but this guy was rather "easy on the eyes" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] so it wasn't very torturing working on it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    Back to phoenix research...
    -Mark Twain

Thanks for the compliment, but I only posted it because she's a Phoenix, even if she is a comic book character. But she was done all by hand, a painting I did. Nothing to do with computer graphics, well except that I added the black border and the title, the copyright info, but that's it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I still think that in many ways there's no beating a hand done piece.

Oh...FYI: She is completely original. The character design is copyrighted but the drawing and painting is from my imagination.

The symbols in the right hand corner are (looks like a planet) are the Sun, Moon and Rising of the man I did the painting for, name's Mark, an Aries!!

I just may post it Maya, not a bad idea, thanks for the Kadoos, hope it inspires you or David to do a Phoenix.

Hell maybe I'll do one as soon as this Angel is finished........... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] (wings are still a hassle, not happy with any design so far and I've only got a month to go, cripes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I'm sure you'll get the wings figured out in time! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Some info on the myth of the Phoenix---
    The Phoenix in Myth
    [The Roman poet] Ovid tells the story of the Phoenix as follows: 'Most beings spring from other individuals; but there is a certain kind which reproduces itself. The Assyrians call it the Phoenix. It does not live on fruit or flowers, but on frankincense and odoriferous gums. When it has lived five hundred years, it builds itself a nest in the branches of an oak, or on the top of a palm tree. In this it collects cinnamon and spikenard, and myrrh, and of these materials builds a pile on which it deposits itself, and dying, breathes out its last breath amidst odors.
    From the body of the parent bird, a young Phoenix issues forth, destined to live as long a life as its predecessor. When this has grown up and gained sufficient strength, it lifts its nest from the tree (its own cradle and its parent's sepulchre), and carries it to the city of Heliopolis in Egypt, and deposits it in the temple of the Sun.'

from Bulfinch's Mythology.
    Also--

The phoenix bird symbolizes immortality, resurrection and life after death. In ancient Greek and Egyptian mythology, it is associated with the sun god.
    According to the Greeks, the bird lives in Arabia, near a cool well. Every morning at dawn, the sun god would stop his chariot to listen to the bird sing a beautiful song while it bathed in the well.
    Only one phoenix exists at a time. When the bird felt its death was near, every 500 to 1,461 years, it would build a nest of aromatic wood and set it on fire. The bird then was consumed by the flames.
    A new phoenix sprang forth from the pyre. In Egypt, it was usually depicted as a heron, but in the classic literature as a peacock or an eagle.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain