Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey guys,

How do I restore missing fonts that don't show up in the Photoshop font menu. I've tried reinstalling them, but, I can't. It says they're already installed. So, what can I do to put them back and keep them in there so it wouldn't say "fonts are missing" or something like that when I call up a .psd file that I did a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for your time, guys.
    RJ
    IP

I eventually made a copy of my C:WindowsFonts folder(with all of my Windows fonts plus my downloaded fonts), and now I keep a current folder on CD to replace fonts that come up messed up in some way. I burn a backup every month or so, to back up my fonts, bookmarks, and many other files.

I hate reinstalling fonts! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

That doesn't help you now, so try this:

Look in your C:WindowsFonts folder to make sure the problem fonts are really there. It's helpful to have a font explorer app to help with this, too, to help identify the fonts by name. I recommend Font Explorer Lite, a small freeware program that will show all of the fonts on your system, except Adobe Type 1 fonts.
    Get it at www.moonsoftware.com/download.asp.

If the fonts are there, I recommend you uninstall the fonts that are giving you problems, and then reinstall them. (make copies of these before you do this, and reinstall the copies, and see how that works)

If that doesn't work, and you need fresh copies of those fonts, just ask the forum members where to find them, or search some free font sites and download them.

And make a copy of that Fonts folder after you fix this problem! !

Dale
    IP

2 things...

1) If PS is saying that, then the font originally used in the file has either changed or is no longer installed. Or, in less often situations... is corrupt and/or not being read correctly.

Do as suggested... make backup copies of the problem font(s), unInstall the problem font(s) first, then reInstall them. And do all of this from within the Windows/Fonts folder -- do not use a 3rd party app for this. (this ensures no outside interference in the process can screw something up)

2) Some fonts may/will appear at the very bottom of the Font menu list within Photoshop. This is usually, but not always, because they are abnormal font sets. Whatever the reason, sometimes, when it appears a font or fonts are not showing in the font list, it's simply because Photoshop has it listed at the very bottom -- most often below a separator.

Hope this helps also.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

When I used to have to uninstall/reinstall fonts, I'd reboot after uninstalling, then reinstall the fonts, and reboot again.

A 3rd party font app is handy FOR EXPLORING ONLY because some font FILES are named differently than the font name. For example, you might have a font called Antsy Pants, but the file name is pants.ttf, or even something awful like ap_2.ttf. I have never used Font Explorer Lite to install any fonts, but have used it to delete fonts.

I don't even use the Windows Font folder "File/Install New Font" functionality to install fonts, I just copy and paste fonts into the Fonts folder, then reboot when I'm done. This has always worked just fine for me.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

Hey guys,

Thanks very much. I though about uninstalling/ reinstalling but, I wasn't sure.
    I bought a new computer and I installed Photoshop on my new comp and my new comp didn't have some of the fonts that I used on my old comp so I think it's something to that, too.

Oh, I can open those fonts in the other apps like PhotoImpact and they work fine so, I'm not sure what happened. Unless it was something to do with me installing the 6.0.1 update after installing the other fonts, I don't know.

But, again, thanks for your time, guys.

RJ
    IP

If you still have the old computer, just copy the Windows/Fonts folder onto a Zip disk, or burn it onto a CD if you have a burner.

If you don't have those storage capabilities on your old computer, you will have to use a floppy to copy/paste the fonts you want, several at a time, until you get them all.

I'd copy them, put them into a separate folder on your new computer, and then you'll have them to copy/paste into your Windows/Fonts folder or not. NOTE: This can take awhile using floppies!

After doing this, if you burn a CD copy of all your favorite fonts, then you won't ever have to do this again!

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP