Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I need to illustrate the Life area of my London House website which tells the story of a fictional family living in 1890. So I need to be able to do quite a few pictures quickly, and bearing in mind that sadly I do not have the skills possessed by many in this forum!

After experimenting with Poser, I gave up - the fashions I need to illustrate are not available and I cannot afford the time to build my own.

So I returned to good ole XaraX.

The plan is to build a clipart library of different items of clothing at one or two angles each, and then build figures up, tailoring the colours and fills for each. I have used David King's shading technique (thanks) - one layer with texture fill and black lines, and a second with one or more darkened shapes with transparency and no outline.

I have attached my first man - the woman's clothes will be harder as lace etc will require more experimentation. The xar file is huge as it has the bitmap textures but I can make it available if anyone wants it.

Any comments/advice please. Thanks...

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man1.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	5000  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I need to illustrate the Life area of my London House website which tells the story of a fictional family living in 1890. So I need to be able to do quite a few pictures quickly, and bearing in mind that sadly I do not have the skills possessed by many in this forum!

After experimenting with Poser, I gave up - the fashions I need to illustrate are not available and I cannot afford the time to build my own.

So I returned to good ole XaraX.

The plan is to build a clipart library of different items of clothing at one or two angles each, and then build figures up, tailoring the colours and fills for each. I have used David King's shading technique (thanks) - one layer with texture fill and black lines, and a second with one or more darkened shapes with transparency and no outline.

I have attached my first man - the woman's clothes will be harder as lace etc will require more experimentation. The xar file is huge as it has the bitmap textures but I can make it available if anyone wants it.

Any comments/advice please. Thanks...

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

What you've done looks quite good to me.

Here's one more idea. If you don't have the time to do it now, you could update your files later.

If you've got a camera (a decent digital camera would be easiest)and access to samples of materials (try a museum) and take photos of actual fabrics. Create fabrics swatches next to your figures, blur the edges a bit, and add a nice drop shadow. Interior and clothing designers and architects often use this technique to review designs prior going into production

Simon

I agree with John. Looks like you're doing fine. Only thing is, if this is a guy, why isn't he standing around with his hands in his pockets? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

never has his hands in his pockets.

Rules and Regulations.

In those days people didn't sit in a restaurant with their feet on the table either.

And a female ankle was enough to set imagination on fire...

Those were the days my friend,...