Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In case you think that any grass grows under my mouse, I have been whipping together a web site for our local Placitas (New Mexico) Chamber of Commerce.

Before

After

There is a lot of work to be done and the huge street maps and ugly member ads came from the current site.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

In case you think that any grass grows under my mouse, I have been whipping together a web site for our local Placitas (New Mexico) Chamber of Commerce.

Before

After

There is a lot of work to be done and the huge street maps and ugly member ads came from the current site.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

As we would say localy "From the dogs dinner to the dogs b*ll*ck's" (The dogs b*ll*ck's means the tops by the way.)
    Just a couple of points. The About page has a large amount of blank space at the bottom. The links page doesn't appear to have any links, but no indication this is pending (or is it my connection?)
    A great job!
    Egg
    PS Does the quote "ugly member ads" infer ugly ads or ugly members?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gary,

I have seen sites face-lifted, but they typically amount to nothing more than to "putting lipstick on a pig". We are way beyond that with this one.

I think that you truly capture the essence of Placitas: simplicity and beauty. Placitas is a very simple looking place. Not breathtaking like Napa or the south of France. However, once you been there enough, you realize that its beauty is its simplicity and the front page captures that exactly.

As one of my favorite lines from Pulp Fiction goes, "the <expletive deleted> is Tip Top!"

Milt

I went to the maps page on your new version. When I float over the "maps and photos" button it changes to "members"???

Great design by the way...

Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Yes Gary absoulatly you did a FACE OFF

It was ugly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    But not anymore

I have one point, if you make the fonts in the circle Logo bolder, thicker

again, it is another woow thing

That's a really nice new site Gary.

Is the photo at http://www.gwpriester.com/pcoc1/asse...es/about_3.jpg edited to add the colours, or do you actually get sunsets like that? (on this page)

If it wasn't for the bush in the foreground, I'd quite easily believe that it was a photo from Mars!

Your landscape photo of the sunset is very inspiring, this is pretty much as exciting as it gets here in the tropics of Middlesex, UK:

http://www.digitalred.com/temp/talkgraphics/sunset.jpg

Daniel
    www.digitalred.com

Love the new look. How could anyone ever have thought the original served a useful purpose???

btw Is the martian landscape from the original site? There was a time (20 years ago?) when we all thought Cokin filters were cool...

Jess

... good so far there Gary! Boy I bet they are glad they found you! Nice clean simple layout which invites further exploration, unlike the old site, where the background tileset put me off straight away and made the text on top tricky to read. Like the new logo and colours; and the photos are beautiful, makes me want to visit.

BTW the large street map looks like it might lend itself to a Flash version where you could scroll a smaller on-screen image and zoom in to see details ... just a thought.

Grass growing under your mouse?! ... no way ... from what I can see of what you have been doing in general and more recently I expect you wear out a mouse mat every couple of weeks!

I read all the text on the about page and Placitas sounds like an amazing place, but what is 'xeriscaped' when it's at home?

Just an idea ... on the events & organizations page the gold lines appear at the bottom as well. I think it looks quite good. Although I'm not sure it's meant to be there as it doesn't appear at the bottom on other pages. It might be good to have that with any copyright or whatever info they are going to have put in between, with the lines going right across ... like at the top with the buttons.

Great facelift and another good one to add to your portfolio!

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Thanks for the excellent feedback, and not only the compliments (although they are always welcome).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have seen sites face-lifted, but they typically amount to nothing more than to "putting lipstick on a pig". We are way beyond that with this one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, neighbor. Is that like the left-handed compliment, "for a fat girl you don't sweat much?" :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The About page has a large amount of blank space at the bottom. The links page doesn't appear to have any links, but no indication this is pending (or is it my connection?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have a look at that. If there is something placed way down the page (where I often move things out of the way) there is a lot of blank scroll room left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I went to the maps page on your new version. When I float over the "maps and photos" button it changes to "members"??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the problems with changing button graphics (from members to maps and photos) is you have to change all the button graphics

Thanks for catching that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is the photo at http://www.gwpriester.com/pcoc1/asse...es/about_3.jpg edited to add the colours, or do you actually get sunsets like that? (on this page) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is an actual photo with a color overlay in Xara and a bit of stained glass transparency. But it is based on the occassional breath taking colors of sunset that happen from time to time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I read all the text on the about page and Placitas sounds like an amazing place, but what is 'xeriscaped' when it's at home?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about the "at home" part but Xeriscaping refers to a type of gardening in dry climates, such as New Mexico--annual rainfall averages 8-10" --using drought resistent plants that once established need little water.

The lines that re-appear are part of the tiling background image which on very long pages does repeat, but perhaps not as often as on the current site ;-)

Thanks again for all the comments and observations. And thanks to Grant Remington for creating PDF files for me of the maps, which I shall be posting on the site soon.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone