Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Cup

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I hope Soquili doesn't mind...

I altered Soquili's nice clean mug to represent Risto's disgusting version. The symbol I added is the international symbol for "biohazard".

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cup.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	12254  

... that's the way it looks and in the mornings I have to put all my weight on it to get it loose from the desk.

Great representation Ross!

Risto

Hi Judi,

I appreciate your compliment! Applying the techniques from Gary's tutorials and the posts here in the Xara Gallery & Xara X forum are the secret to my drawing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ross - Great! That is just how I pictured Risto's cup to look [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Risto - Do any of the things growing in there glow? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

... I'm not sure if the contents glows or not, but somedays when I fill it up it makes this funny 'hizzing' noise.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'll check the glow factor tomorrow...

Risto

Nice work, Soquili.

Being that I'm not a graphics artist I have have a hard time feeling justified in reviewing your work, but I do have a couple ideas.

It seems to me that the image would have been a little more interesting if we could've seen the cup rotated a bit with even a slight profile of the handle. The odds of looking dead-on at the handle, as shown in your perspective, are prettly slight.

Secondly, I noticed that the cup casts a shadow to the back and right. That being the case, shouldn't the handle also be casting a shadow on the surface of the mug?

(I know... "picky, picky, picky")

Just my two cents.

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.

Hi Joroho,

The cup was sitting on the desk as in the drawing, it would have been better if I had turned it as you suggest. There should also have been a shadow cast by the handle, but in reality there were no shadows. The lighting in my office is so diffuse with the light coloured walls and white floor, I had to exaggerate (actually fabricate) the shadow cast by the cup. The highlights on the cup were actually reflections of the ceiling lights, which I softened.

I appreciate you comments, I'll keep them in mind for my future drawings.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Soquili,

> Haven't seen you around for awhile.

Have been working on a project and left the company, so I'm kind of tied up to plan ahead :-)

> Thanks for the tip.
    > I wasn't thinking about perspective, just getting my mind off work for a bit.

That's what most designers/artists/illustrators forget. Don't worry about it. This is why you are in this forum - the other members will play 'devils advocate' and push you onto the right track. It's invaluable...
    >
    > How's the perspective in this one?

That's realistic. The first one looked like a picture taken with a standard camera, the second one like a picture taken with a professional bellow studio camera (like the Linhof, Arca Swiss etc), applying the 'Scheimpflug' principle to correct the perspective distortion.

Compare the two illustrations: the first one looks as if it has a wider bottom or a conical shape, the second one looks like a tube with straight lines. (sorry if I don't have the right words here...) This is a perfect example for 'perception': don't focus on the margins of the picture - they are (in most cases) vertical and horizontal. But if the lines of the cup are just parallel to the margins, the perspective is not correct, unless you illustrated the cup as if looking from a 90 degree angle to it

Tricky issue, but you solved it perfect. Keep goind - with your speed of mastering the learning curve you will surpass all of us very soon!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I produced this cup in Xara 3D and Xara.
    The body and handle (which could be better) were produced as seperate Xara 3D files and combined in Xara. The texture is Ross'(?) texture. The background was produced in Xara as was the shadows and stains
    Egg

Name:	cup11.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	2216  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I wasn't to happy about the handle or some of the antialiasing around the cup after I'd added the shadows so I've redone it with a new handle and handle shadow

Name:	cup22.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	7072  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host