Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: 3D graphs

Hello guys.

IĀ“d like to know of any software (free or not) that can do these kinds of graphs and charts:

http://www.icep.pt/portugal/investimento.asp

...preferably with the capability of importing Excel data.

ItĀ“s for professional publishing use, so it should be vectorial work.

Thanks.

Hello guys.

IĀ“d like to know of any software (free or not) that can do these kinds of graphs and charts:

http://www.icep.pt/portugal/investimento.asp

...preferably with the capability of importing Excel data.

ItĀ“s for professional publishing use, so it should be vectorial work.

Thanks.

Something you can do is to plot in Excel, and copy and paste into Power Point. The charts are of a vector form, but not really editable in Excel. In Power Point, you can ungroup and convert to objects. Then save in WMF from Power Point. As a WMF, the chart in more editable in other applications. Rich

Thanks for the tip... IĀ“ve tried that with Excel + Illustrator and itĀ“s possible, but itĀ“s a lot of work and not without some visual artifacts. I know that thereĀ“s software out there whose purpose is to do those kinds of graphs and charts... IĀ“ll keep looking.

Still accepting suggestions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hmmm , I wonder if Corel Designer9 (formerly Micrografx) would do things like this

http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi...id=CC1S37CRDES

Deneba Canvas may do these things easily (it has a simple extrude type thing for 3d stuff

http://www.deneba.com/products/canvas8/features.html

These are just guesses as I don't know

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

It's not free, but Three D Graphics has a program that plugs into Office for extremely attractive 3D charts.

MS Graph, whatever the thingy is called produces vector data that can be pasted into CorelDRAw and cleaned up. Also, if you can find a copy of DRAW 5 someplace, it came with CorelCHART, which produced 3D graphs that could be enhanced, like the attached illo.

Oh, and vector graphics have nothing to do with the professional quality of a graphic. All the 3D stuff here on this forum (okay, most of it) was rendered to pixel (format), as do all vector artwork. The vectors you see on screen in XARA, for example, are math equations written to screen on the fly, and a screen is a type of bitmap (raster) display. The key to high quality graphics is making a really high resolution bitmap for publishing. A lot of samples (like 266 dots per inch)=high-quality graphics.

My Best,
    Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	19615  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

I use PSI Plot for data plotting. Probably not as nice as Sigma Plot. I have a copy of Axum, but never really used it. Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary David Bouton:

Oh, and vector graphics have nothing to do with the professional quality of a graphic. All the 3D stuff here on this forum (okay, most of it) was rendered to pixel (format), as do all vector artwork. The vectors you see on screen in XARA, for example, are math equations written to screen on the fly, and a screen is a type of bitmap (raster) display. The key to high quality graphics is making a really high resolution bitmap for publishing. A lot of samples (like 266 dots per inch)=high-quality graphics.

My Best,
    Gare<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know about that, what I was meaning to say was that when it comes to illustration I like to use vector files because I can redimension them on-the-fly as I please without worrying about DPIs and I can place an EPS file in QuarkXPress on any background color. ItĀ“s just a matter of versatility, itĀ“s easier for me.

About the programs you all suggested, thank you very much, IĀ“ll give AMIGO a try (Office add-on) and then IĀ“ll try the other ones. If another doubt should arise, IĀ“ll return to this topic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again,
    Alexandre